Issues with AMD R9 290 and AMD drivers

Valdas Paulavicius

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
So I have a r9 290 and I can't upgrade drivers after 14.4 this version kind of works but I get a BSOD once a week with a message 0xa0000001 any newer drivers than the 14.4 installation goes well with a success and then it asks me to reboot and I press ok, the PC boots, I log in to windows and then in a matter of seconds it hangs, I managed to open the task manager few times and it says that windows explorer.exe is taking up 30% of the processor.

I found something interesting, when my monitor is plugged in the integrated GPU I don't get the issue and all the newest drivers work, but my main GPU is then disabled.

And YES I have installed all the available windows updates and tried totally uninstalling everything with DDU.

My PC spec:

CPU: AMD A10 7850k Radeon R7 ~3.7GHz

RAM: 16GB

Windows: 8.1 64-bit PRO

DirectX: 11

GPU: R9 290 4GB GDDR5

Motherboard: A88X-G45 GAMING from MSI

Power supply: cx750m from Corsair

Solution

Well in that case, it would definitely appear that there may be a fault with one of your VRAM modules on the card. I would consider getting another Graphics card into your system to rule out that it is not another component involved.

If your card is still under warranty which it is more than likely since most come with a standard 3 year RTB. You can get it exchanged.

Valdas Paulavicius

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Usually while watching youtube or browsing the web, I'm almost not playing games because the games are underperforming cause of outdated drivers. So I can't really tell if it happens in games.

Valdas Paulavicius

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

0% and when I'm browsing or watching a video it jumps to 30% and sometimes to 100%

Neur0nauT

Admirable

Hmmm. Goto your motherboard manufacturers website and get the latest BIOS update. That might help stop the BSODs

Valdas Paulavicius

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Thank you for your answer,
But that's not the problem, the problem is that I have to use outdated drivers because newer versions than 14.4 hang after installing the drivers with a success.

(And I have latest bios version installed)

Neur0nauT

Admirable

Well in that case, it would definitely appear that there may be a fault with one of your VRAM modules on the card. I would consider getting another Graphics card into your system to rule out that it is not another component involved.

If your card is still under warranty which it is more than likely since most come with a standard 3 year RTB. You can get it exchanged.

Solution

Valdas Paulavicius

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

I've spent all of my savings on this, so yeah I can't test it with another GPU, but next week I'm going to take it to place that build my PC, thanks for all of your help.

TRENDING THREADS