Issues with audio drivers

wuss king

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Good afternoon,

A few weeks ago, I purchased a new motherboard and CPU. After installing all components, and starting up the computer, I've been having issues with audio crackling. I used DDU to clean up the drivers that came with my GPU, and when reinstalling the AMD software unchecked HDMI audio drivers. This worked, but upon starting my computer up the next day reverted back to the same issues. I tried uninstalling audio inputs Digital Audio HDMI, when restarting and Windows 10 re installs the drivers(windows 10 HD audio drivers), the audio works fine. What could be causing this issue? Previous to this temporary fix, I thought my computer was having issues with Realtek, possibly a conflict between audio drivers. I've updated the BIOS, installed the newest Realtek , and even disabled the audio device. Microsoft tech suggested I disable automatic updating for windows, I've done this. A weird thing that I have noticed while in device manager, is when I select "driver details". When selecting driver details under "Audio inputs", it says "No driver files are required, or have been loaded for this device" Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard: Asus z97 AR
CPU: i7 4790k
RAM: 8gb G.skill DDR3 1600
GPU: XFX R9 390x
HDD: SDD, Samsung Evo 850 500gb
PSU: CX750

Thanks in advance!

wuss king

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I did not reinstall windows. I had to reactivate it, MS had to remote access my computer to add the activation key. I did not know I had to assign my windows log in to my windows key. But anyway, I'll try reinstalling windows. Odd I would have to go through all this trouble, just because I changed components. Why is this? Are there certain settings that windows preinstalls, that are assigned to my motherboard and CPU? Just curious.

wuss king

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I reinstalled windows, installed my GPU and hdmi audio drivers. Still having the same issue. When windows started up after resetting it (re install from the windows reset option), I then installed the AMD drivers. AMD software prompted a restart, sound worked fine after that. I started my computer again today, and I'm having issues with the sound. I did not install the retaltek drivers, I let windows assign a driver. Not sure where the issue lies, don't think it's a hardware issue because after uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them the sound works fine. Thanks

wuss king

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

It seems that a combination of clean uninstall of GPU/Audio drivers, and a fresh install of windows has remedied this issue. I did a clean install w/ DDU just now, and when installing the GPU drivers left the HDMI audio drivers unchecked. Windows assigned their HD audio drivers, and I tested a game to see if the audio skipped/crackled. There was no issues after this method. To insure the problem was resolved, I restarted the computer for a 2nd time. It works, it seems like the culprit was the AMD audio drivers. I was using driver update 16.11.5, and switched back to 16.11.4 to rule out the new driver update. I miss my Nvidia card, and console gaming lol, less head aches. This is my first AMD card in 10 yrs I think. Don't want to place the blame on them, probably just hardware incompatibility. The audio worked .fine w/ the same components, but instead I had a gigabye MB, and i5 2500k. The boards BIOS got corrupt, that was the reason for upgrading to the MB I have now. Off topic, but I'm curious to see how AMD's Zen processors are going to turn out. A long time ago, I remember AMD being the mecca of gaming cpus and gpus. Thanks again for your help dudio