So, not so recently i built a PC (2016-2017) that had these components:

-Intel i5 7th Gen 7500 3.8Ghz
-MSI H110m Gaming Skylake Micro AtX Motherboard
-ASUS GTX 1070 Dual Fan 8GB
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz
-Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA Hard Drive
-EVGA 750GQ 80+Gold 750w Semi Modular
-Hyper Cooler Master 212 Evo fan

Peripherals aside, this PC worked great for 2 years until it started crashing randomly, like operating normal then Boom, crash, no blue screen, boot up normal, but randomly, it shut downs. Sometimes it used to spend days without a crash, and sometimes it would be crashing 10 times a day.

So I started a basic troubleshooting of the entire PC, started with the hard drive, using Hiren’s Boot and everything was fine, Tested both Ram sticks and switched both slots and worked fine, GPU was fine, and so was the PSU (paper clip test and voltage reading each output), so all that was left was mobo and CPU, so recently I had a good gig at a job and got some extra money so I bought a new Mobo and CPU (was in the plans since my motherboad was underperforming for the kind of build i had) and more upgrades, the new setup looked like this and built it around Feb-Mar 2020

-ASUS Z-390A Prime LGA1151 ATX Motherboard
-Intel i5 9th Gen 9600KF 3.7Ghz
-Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 nVME SSD
-((Same Ram))
-((Same PSU))
-((Same GPU))
-((Same Cooler))
-((HDD was removed cuz of space issues))

So after i built this PC, everything ran smooth for about a month until the crashes came again, I thought that the parts that I Replaced would eventually solve the issue because of the troubleshooting but I probably did a poor one.

Did a 2nd Troubleshooting,

SSD Drive was good as new and working perfectly.

RAM was tested again with MemTest86 and at first, i thought it was the ram because it wasnt replaced, and IT DID crash a couple of times between tests (with 2 DIMMs occupied at the same time) but testing each stick separate gave no errors, and then I gave it a try again with both DIMMs occupied and it was a success, no RAM issues.

No bent pins or corroded in the CPU socket, Thermal paste was correctly applied and not in other parts of the motherboard.

PSU test was next because i thought it wasnt giving enough power, here, AC outlets should give 110V and it was within the tolerance range (112.1V) and each pin was outputting its correct voltage setting (3.3,5,12 +-)

As the old and new motherboard (micro atx and atx) they all had their assigned screws and locked in correctly, not breaking tight and not loose.

Concerns

I Noticed that sometimes when i opened a game or photoshop then it would crash after like 20 mins, but not always, more like 70% of the time.

Not always would it boot after the crash, a lot of times it would crash again during the boot up, before getting to the login screen, in extreme cases, it would stay in a fast loop of booting and crashing.

On rare occasions, it would show the LED for the power buttons on, and the RGB from the mobo on, even the keyboard powered on, but neither the fans or the actual PC be on, and the monitor wouldnt display because it wasn’t “On”.

I’ve come to this platform because it has provided a lot of info and I believe you guys would guide me to fixing my issue. Any questions or pictures, Im here. thank you in advance

((done from cellphone))

Ralston18

Titan
Intermittent problems...

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the times of the crashes.

Reliability History is easier to work with so start there and "explore".

Idea being that if the errors (if any) may focus on one particular component and thus narrow things down somewhat.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Doublecheck by inspection and by feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Use gentle pressure and some wiggling to ensure a good connection.

No cables kinked, twisted, pinched. No bare conductor showing through insulation.

May 29, 2020
Intermittent problems...

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the times of the crashes.

Reliability History is easier to work with so start there and "explore".

Idea being that if the errors (if any) may focus on one particular component and thus narrow things down somewhat.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Doublecheck by inspection and by feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Use gentle pressure and some wiggling to ensure a good connection.

No cables kinked, twisted, pinched. No bare conductor showing through insulation.

Hey Ralston, Thanks for the answer

I'm going to attach some images that contain Reliability History and Event Viewer, i forgot mentioning that i researched before because i checked the Kernel Power 41 63 error before, which made me think it was the PSU all along but after the voltage reading tests, i gave up.

Also, while typing this reply, my PC crashed a couple of times and kinda got it from my cellphone filmed. Gonna see if i can upload it.

No cables are twisted and pinched, This case is a bit * [Moderator edit to remove profanity.] when it comes to cable management but i kinda sort it out. All components are firmly in place and those who need screwing, are screwed in tight.

Event Viewer and Reliability History

PC Powers but doesn't boot
2 Crashes on camera

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
I am very much leaning towards a PSU problem. " Windows was not properly shutdown" being the supporting reason.

Plus when that happens files can be corrupted and matters get worse.

Has the PSU/computer been heavily used for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can delve deeper into the voltages:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help if necessary.

Failing that do you have access to another PSU you can swap in?

Just be sure that you make all power connections correctly and do not mix in cables from other PSUs.

May 29, 2020
I am very much leaning towards a PSU problem. " Windows was not properly shutdown" being the supporting reason.

Plus when that happens files can be corrupted and matters get worse.

Has the PSU/computer been heavily used for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can delve deeper into the voltages:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help if necessary.

Failing that do you have access to another PSU you can swap in?

Just be sure that you make all power connections correctly and do not mix in cables from other PSUs.

Hey,

It has not been used heavily for gaming on its lifespan until like 2 months ago, but the issues came before it.

I do not have access to another PSU at the moment, If i had to borrow one, it would take me a couple of days honestly, I could order a new one also hence this one might be failing, any recommendations?

Will test the PSU again with the Multimeter, gonna edit this post after doing it.

((EDIT))

Once again, tested all voltages, followed the webpage instructions in case i was doing it wrong, double checked, everything nominal. Still, it does happen when i engage in a high demanding program / game. A temporary fix i noticed was that after using it and the first unexpected shutdown, i would turn off and disconnect the PSU for a couple of hours, probably over night, then turn it on for the next session, and it wouldnt crash for a couple of hours.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020
Updating this thread

For some reason, the day after my last reply to this topic, my pc didnt crash at all, no changes done, for 2 MONTHS, clean bootups and usage..... Until this weekend, back to the same crashes and everything has been troubleshooted like said above.

Back to square one

TRENDING THREADS