Question Issues with booting, sometimes getting “Automatic Repair/PC didn’t start correctly” notices

ZerozxCJ

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Note: the question template below is from a different forum, but I think it's beneficial here for helping me organize my thoughts and what has been attempted. Thanks for any help.

Troubleshooting Help:

What is your parts list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($412.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1229.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-01 09:24 EST-0500

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

The basic problem is that my system will get to the motherboard splash screen, restart, get to that screen, restart — it might do this 3 or 4 times before it begins show the prompt "Diagnosing your PC/attempting to repair" (can't remember the exact prompt, but that's the gist), and then it will load a blue screen with the "Automatic Repair" header where it says my system did not start correctly. After I downloaded a few Windows updates and attempted to restart, it seemed to get stuck on this screen after every boot attempt whereas before it seemed to be hit-or-miss. This is when I began to post to reddit and troubleshoot a bit more. See below for more detail on what has been attempted so far.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

Here is a brief thread where I posted my initial problem and had a couple of updates in the comments, but I'll try to be more detailed below:

Just to say it: This is my first PC build and I'm really discouraged, I was hoping it would go smoothly but I guess I'm not surprised there is already a problem.

Here is a description of what I've done, from the beginning:

I installed Windows 10 Home via USB flash drive to my SSD. The SSD is the only drive connected, I intentionally left the Seagate HDD unconnected to avoid any potential accidents during Windows installation. The installation seemed to go well, no problems, but after changing a couple of things in BIOS/UEFI I began to notice the problem. I have no idea if something I changed started to cause it or if it's a hardware problem. Here is what I changed in BIOS/UEFI: I updated the BIOS/UEFI version to the latest available. I enabled XMP to get the advertised speed out of my RAM. I changed the boot priority order to boot from the SSD first. Those are the main changes I initially made.

I downloaded a few Windows updates and restarted my system, here is when it seemed to get stuck on the splash screen/restart/diagnosing PC loop whereas before it was more hit-or-miss.

(here is where I began to post to reddit hoping for some troubleshooting help)

Based on someone else's comment, I turned off Legacy mode in the BIOS/UEFI because it was displaying multiple duplicate boot options. This didn't seem to change anything, seems it was mostly for display issues in BIOS/UEFI.

I completed a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 Home. The problem kept happening.

I decided to try to remove and remount the SSD to the motherboard in case it was a connection issue. This seemed to have solved the problem initially, because I could shut down and restart the system as many times as I wanted and the prompt did not come back up. It correctly booted to the desktop screen each time.

After that, I went to check the boot priority order just to make sure it was correct, and once I exited BIOS/UEFI, the problems started once again, which led me to believe maybe it is related to interacting with the BIOS/UEFI, however the person in the comments on the other reddit post seems to think it's definitely a hardware issue and they think I should take it to a PC shop. The system currently seems to be shutting down, restarting, and booting back up correctly when I only do that and don't go into the BIOS/UEFI, but if I go into BIOS/UEFI and exit to restart, that seems to cause the loop. So I have no idea what to think.

And to add to the confusion, as of this morning, the problem doesn't seem to be happening. It started yesterday, the first day I completed the build. I've shut it down, restarted, and shut down/restarted from BIOS, and it isn't currently happening. Doesn't mean it won't happen later though.

Post relevant photos of build/parts here.

No pictures to post at this time unless they're needed.

Provide any additional details you wish below.

Nothing that I can think of. I'm pretty discouraged! lol, was really hoping nothing would go wrong...kind of hoping it's something that I can fix, but sounds like I might end up having to take it to a shop... :-\

Last edited:

ZerozxCJ

Honorable
May 3, 2013
latest chipset driver from amd?

I didn’t try updating the chipset driver yet. I was hesitant to make more updates or changes because of the booting issue. To add to the confusion, the issue wasn’t happening earlier this morning when I tested it. Should I go ahead and update the chipset driver? Any other thoughts about the issue?