Issues with booting...

Mutto

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hello everyone.

Over the past couple of months my pc has been experiencing some rather strange behavior upon booting. Sometimes it boots normally, but most of the times it does not.

It usually boots to the "a disc read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart" at which a handful of restarts later, it boots. Sometimes it stays on, "loading Operating system' for a couple minutes before booting. And, sometimes Windows boots after all of the above happens, only to initially load to an all black screen for a minute or 2 before the desktop actually shows up.

I have never seen anything like this before. Thinking that it may have been a hard drive issue, I bought a new SSD as a boot drive and threw a fresh copy of Windows 7 on it, but the problem still occurs. Both hard drives appear to be functioning just fine... I flashed the BIOS to the newest version, loaded optimized defaults as well as checked the boot order. Nothing.

Any and all input on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mutto

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
A new power supply seems to have fixed this issue.

However, in the interest of helping someone else who may experience this issue, here are other things that I tried that can fix similar boot issues. Most are obvious...but...nonetheless...here they are...in the order that I felt was most logical.

Basics:
-Defrag disc
-Check disc health and smart values to see if the disc is actually the culprit.
-Plug hard drive into a different sata port to see if it's a faulty cable.
-Use a different sata cable to see if it's a faulty cable
-Plug Hard Drive into a different computer and try to boot off it.
-Run memtest86+ to look for RAM issues
-Rebuild master boot record/fixboot

Desperate Measures:
-Update BIOS and see if it boots normally.
-Fresh Windows install and see if it boots normally.
-Hook up a new Power Supply and see if it boots normally. ( I put this last because mst people don't have extra PSU's laying around...)

That's as far as I got. If the power supply didn't work I would have concluded the issue to be motherboard related (specifically the SATA controller?)

Anyways, I hope this helps anyone else out there who may have similar issues.

Cheers