[SOLVED] Issues With both SDD and HDD Running Simultaneously

Nov 29, 2018
I've seen many posts to try and figure out how to install and properly run my new Samsung Evo 860 1 TB SSD. I've gotten most of it done but I keep running into issues after every step despite the numerous posts I've searched through.

Long story short, I've gotten to the point where my OS is on my SSD, my computer recognizes it, and it is booting from it. However, now my HDD will not appear in boot process or post; However, it does show in my SATA devices. I've tried changing the ports around, doing them one by one, and that is how I got my SSD to show with them both plugged in, but again, it is now the HDD that will not show.

If anybody could help me out it'd be much appreciated. Could the issue originate from having my OS on both my SSD and HDD at the same time? Just throwing an idea out, it's the only issue that comes to mind.

For reference, I am running an ASUS bios, so it's a little different with the setup, but yea. Thank you for taking the time to read this and replying.

Solution
You need to go into disk management and check drive assignments for the drives. The boot drive SSD should contain your active, system partition, and have a boot assignment, page file, crash dump, and primary partition information. If you can boot into windows with it, with the HDD physically NOT connected to the system, it should have those assignments and information. Check Disk management.

THAT needs to be established first, if you are in a mixed state, then the fixes require different steps.

The HDD used as a data drive should ONLY have a partition (primary) assignment in disk management.

Nov 29, 2018

Both drives have an OS, I didn't delete the OS from my HDD in case the SDD didn't work. Will deleting it off of my HDD resolve the problem? If so how do I do that?

You need to go into disk management and check drive assignments for the drives. The boot drive SSD should contain your active, system partition, and have a boot assignment, page file, crash dump, and primary partition information. If you can boot into windows with it, with the HDD physically NOT connected to the system, it should have those assignments and information. Check Disk management.

THAT needs to be established first, if you are in a mixed state, then the fixes require different steps.

The HDD used as a data drive should ONLY have a partition (primary) assignment in disk management.

Solution
Nov 29, 2018

The SSD was cloned with Samsung's Magician program, the HDD does show in disk management however it says "Offline [the disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk that is online]" and yes, the HDD will boot if the SSD is disconnected

Its the useless Samsung app . Yours is the second occasion I've seen this week reporting the error.

Indeed, the two drives are now identical, thx to Samsung Migration, resulting in what MS calls a signature collision between the two. Migration is meant to clone a disk and replace it, as in a notebook, not to have both the clone and the origin installed simultaneously. So they work individually but not together.

Go to DM, rt cl on the left hand pane and take the steps required to put the disk online. A warning may say that changing the ID may interfere with the path of an installed app. Ignore that.

USAFRet

Titan
The one required step all the clone tools leave off their instructions:

At the end of the process, you must:
Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive
Allow the system to power up from the new drive by itself.
Later, reconnect the old drive and DELETE all partitions.

Nov 29, 2018

I right clicked it, told it to go online and it went online, however, my steam will not create a path for it, I haven't tried downloading other stuff on it yet, but yea.