Question Issues with CPU upgrade -- faulty CPU?

Jan 30, 2021
I recently tried to upgrade from a Ryzen 1600 to a Ryzen 3600 and had some issues. I believe I have a faulty CPU, but wanted to get some other opinions before I return and replace the 3600.

I'm running an Asrock B450 Fatal1ty ITX with G.Skill Ripjaws 3200mhz RAM, a Samsung Evo 860 SSD and a Zotac 3060 Ti Twin Edge OC on a Corsair SF450 Gold PSU.

The system runs fine with the Ryzen 1600, but when I swapped in the 3600, it wouldn't boot -- the power and GPU LEDs light up, the case fans and CPU fan run, etc, but my monitor doesn't receive the signal. I've tried resetting the CMOS and reseating my RAM and GPU with no luck. I even tried a new bios -- my motherboard came with the P3.30 Bios, which should work according to Asrock, but neither that nor the P3.40 update work. I've inspected the 3600 and the pins look fine. I've switched back to the 1600 and it's running fine again.

I've contacted Asrock and they've confirmed that my motherboard model is compatible with the Ryzen 3600 on this bios and have offered an RMA, though I don't believe that's the issue considering my 1600 still works. Amazon is also accepting my CPU for return. But before I try either of these options, is there anything else that could be the issue? Thanks!

Jan 30, 2021
The PSU occurred to me as the possible issue but it runs fine with the 1600, which I understand uses pretty much the same wattage as the 3600. But is there some other aspect of the new chip that might cause issues with the PSU, other than overall wattage?

Newer processors and motherboards may have some lower power states that an older gen power supply can not handle well.
But, I really doubt that is any factor at all here.
The simple fact is that you have a new gen processor that does not run on your motherboard.
Can you confirm, using the 1600 that the bios level installed on the motherboard is, in fact there.
That would be the least sinister explanation.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jan 30, 2021
Yep, the pre-installed bios was P3.30, which is compatible with the 3600 according to Asrock's website. When that didn't work, I updated to P3.40 (the last bios that still supports first-gen Ryzen) and it still didn't work. I imagine I just got a faulty CPU at this point. I managed to snag a 5600x on Amazon that will arrive in March. My motherboard should handle it with a bios update, hopefully it turns out the chip was indeed the problem. Also planning to upgrade to the 600W Corsair SFX before then so if that's the issue, it won't be anymore.

TRENDING THREADS