Issues with Ethernet connections

nowayyjose

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Router(provided by cable company): Netgear AC1900 C6300BD
Ethernet cable: long cable connected from the router to built gaming PC, short cable from router to PS4

My roommate is convinced that my desktop being plugged into the router is disrupting his internet connection when he streams HBO or Netflix on his PS4 even when my device is turned off. But both devices are connected via ethernet. Is this what's happening? How do I fix it?

Calling the cable company hasn't helped since they just reset the router every time. We have asked the apartment complex to help and they've given us a new modem and reset our connections multiple times. We've gone through a couple changes in routers as well and the problem just has not been solved.

However, we have not experienced issues on any devices connected via wifi when our devices are both connected via ethernet.

Speed tests for my internet works fine. I've never had an issue with internet since moving here(a year now). However his PS4's speed tests seem to vary. There are times where the router changes from green to yellow when my device is plugged in.

There is a noticeable change in resolution and buffering speed when he unplugs my device. It's gotten to the point where he just disconnects me even when I'm using my computer.

I've gone on my router's ip address and have noticed the following recurring events in the log(not sure if this helps):
- ping of death
- illegal fragments

but the targets and sources of these are none of the IPs of the devices connected to our router.

So my questions:
- How can ethernet connections interfere and does that even happen? I've never heard of that. Only with wifi
- I don't think it's this but is the router faulty?
- Is it the cables(also doubtful on this)?
- Should I just sacrifice connection speed, use a wifi adapter on my desktop and call it a day?(I'd really rather not)
- What do I do?

Thanks for the help.

Solution
Check your computer's network adapter configuration. If set for auto-negotiate manually set the speed and duplex to 1.0 Gbps/Full.

If already set, try auto-negotiate.

Ralston18

Titan
Would not expect that your computer would be the problem when it is turned off. However, if some other network device is constantly trying to find and connect to your computer that might be something to look into. Any shared folders or printers on your computer? Homegroup?

Is this your router?

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=a99b4d50-64f5-11e4-f4b9-000000000000

And by green to yellow I trust you mean the LAN port indicator LED first showing 1000 Mbps (green) and then 100 Mbps (yellow) - correct?

What level of ISP service are you paying for? It could just be that the total bandwidth demand is too high between gaming and streaming.

Who manages the router? Could be some QoS setting kicking in.

Start by trying other known working ethernet cables. Cat 5e or better.

Check the router's configuration pages and settings.

Do not change to wireless yet. Wifi will be slower by its nature and then get slower just by adding more wireless traffic on the channel.

And doing so may just add in more variables the may mask the actual problem.

nowayyjose

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

Roommate has a wireless printer. It's not shared though but I can access it with the IP so maybe it is. When I say "even when my device is turned off" I mean he thinks that somehow can still cause the problem. He just unplugs the cable if he can see it. On or Off.

I'm paying for the Premier service so I really think it should be enough!

Not sure what you mean by who manages it? Cox manages and provides the router, roommate and I use it, and the apartment complex gives us the modem. The complex actually provides it's own ethernet service too(I mean when you can plug it into the wall since I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly).

Cat5e is the cable that I'm currently using.

And I'm not sure what to look for in the configuration pages and settings.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
What the apartment complex provides (as I currently understand things) is a coax cable to your appartment. You connect a coax cable from the wall outlet to the Netgear modem/ router and then run ethernet cables and/or wireless connections to create your own network.

That said, it seems as if you may have two separate devices: a modem and a router. The modem would be connected to the wall via coax and an ethernet cable would connect between the modem and the router's WAN port.

To be honest, I need to understand the physical setup before going off into configuration settings. I am curious about the IP you see on the wireless printer.

Can you run and post the results of "ipconfig /all"? The goal is to understand the bigger picture with respect to the network configuration.

There may be splitters along the way to accomodate TV connections as well.

With respect to the router management do you or your roommate log into it via a login name and password? Normally you just enter the router's IP adress via a browser.

The default settings (on the back label) are IP = 192.168.0.1, User Name is admin , Password is password. Unless you or someone changed them. If they have not been changed then your router and wireless may not be secure - that opens another set of possibilities.

Your computer being off will not cause the problem unless some other device is continually attempting to connect and grabbing lots of bandwidth in the process.

nowayyjose

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

Okay, I hope this can make it more clear. There's a thing in the wall(I'm guessing it's the splitter) that the apartment complex changed. Then the router is connected through the cable coming from the wall.

in the ipconfig, there's an Ethernet adapter, tunnel adapter for local area connection, and tunnel adapter isatap.

The media states for the tunnel adapters are disconnected and the DHCP is not enabled for either

And I know how to log in through the router's IP but I changed the password. Not sure what's going on.

NOTE: I just noticed the LAN connection light changes to amber for my desktop alone, not both. It just happened even with the PS4 turned off.