[SOLVED] Issues with ethernet on Win 10

Mar 24, 2021
I'm having trouble with a desktop PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. Mobo is an Asus ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming. Speed test on both wired connections (Ookla Speedtest app) gives around 0.05Mbps down/1.7Mbps Up with 95.9% packet loss. Low ping and test starts fast then drops. Downloads fail. Websites are slow if they don't fail to load. On packetlosstest.com 149/149 sent and 0/149 received. When I connect through wifi it's 400Mbps/24Mbps and 0 packets lost.

I've tried two cables on both ports of the XB6 from Comcast. On another desktop both cables give speed tests 750Mbps/24Mbps with no problems. I've tried ping 50 times to google.com and no loss. Pathping and tracert results look normal as well. I've updated the driver (for the Intel I211) to the latest from Asus and Intel and uninstalled the device. I've tried Safe Mode with Networking. I've unchecked "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power." I've disabled energy efficient ethernet and Large Send Offload. Adapter shows as connected to router at 1Gbps. Logging on to the router seems snappy, no errors. I've tried both the Network adapter and Internet troubleshooters and reset the network. I've turned off firewall and DMZ. I've tried the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 DNS Servers. Always the same problem with both adapters.

I'm wondering if there are any tools I can try to identify the problem. I used to have a USB bootable linux distro to try outside of Windows. I've been out of the loop for a while so wanted to see what anyone could recommend.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Solution
Is there anyway I can check if it may cause problems with other devices? I'm okay with losing the LAN adapters.
Well, na. . . You could to a stress test / benchmar and have a look and se if the results are normal compared to similar hw. Just be aware that many systems look like having a low score (for those benchmark programs that make statistics on their web page) but that's because the other contenders tends to oc their systems.
Bootable Linux is are normally the first thing to try. You already have made enough tests that you can say for sure the issue is within that computer.

Another thing you might try is to force the network adapter speed down to 100Mbps and see if that help.

Reactions: Happy7
Mar 24, 2021
Thank you! I am a bit unsure of a good bootable linux to try. The one I tried a long time ago was DSL. I used to be a bit more tech savvy, but I'm rusty these days. Any recommendation on a good one to test with? Or any sites to check out? I've been trying to figure this out over the past 3 days trying everything I can find.

I did try changing the speed to 100Mbps Full Duplex, 1Gbps Full Duplex, and Auto Negotiation on the Advanced tab>Speed&Duplex. Still no luck.

Most distros will work, Linux Mint, Linux Lite, Fedora. They all offer a Live ISO so you can run it without affecting installed on the computer.

btw. Could you have a look in device manager and see what the name of the netwok adapter? Also - what managing software (if any) for the network adapter are installed ?

Reactions: Happy7
Mar 24, 2021
The name is "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection" for the Intel I211-AT and "Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller" for the Realtek RTL8125-CG 2.5G LAN. I have used drivers V. 12.18.11.1 [6/15/2020] <-Default from Windows, 12.18.9.7 [3/5/2020] <- Latest on Asus support, and also the lntel support was 12.18.11.1 [7/16/2020]. When I installed the one from Intel it also installed Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility.

I haven't updated drivers on the Realtek. I've been mostly working on the Intel. I plugged the cable into the Realtek and tried a few things, but since the results were the same I didn't do as much as I did with the Intel.

I've got Rufus and some ISOs so I'm going to give that a try. I guess all I need is a browser.

Mar 24, 2021
Bad news. Just tried on linux and same result. Tried both wired connections the issue seems worse. Wireless is blazing fast.
I guess my next step would be a usb ethernet adapter to see if that is faster than wireless for gaming. The wireless should be plenty fast for games, but wanted to see if there was a way to get ethernet working before I continued installing things. I've lost hope that it isn't a hardware issue with both adapters.

Ok, then it's probably not a software issue. Try this:
  • Try to deactivate the "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection" in bios menu (if possible).
  • Also deactivate WiFi card from within bios menu.
  • Then try to connect with only the "Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller"
  • Then try with the opposite configuration (swap the active network controller) (if possible from within the bios menu).

Mar 24, 2021
No luck with either. I appreciate the help. I had reset the board before due to an error code. After that everything seemed fine until I tried the browser. I can't find it now, but when troubleshooting I found a thread about issues with another Asus board with a different adapter that sounded similar. The receive was losing packets. I'm guessing that's what is going on here given the results on packetlosstest. Also the upload speed is faster than download, though still low on speedtest. I'm guessing that the way the test is done packet loss on the receive end will affect the upload score.

I'm not an expert, but since it's both adapters having the same issue maybe the PCIe bus is shared and that is the problem? Hopefully this doesn't affect anything else. Is there anyway I can check if it may cause problems with other devices? I'm okay with losing the LAN adapters.

Is there anyway I can check if it may cause problems with other devices? I'm okay with losing the LAN adapters.
Well, na. . . You could to a stress test / benchmar and have a look and se if the results are normal compared to similar hw. Just be aware that many systems look like having a low score (for those benchmark programs that make statistics on their web page) but that's because the other contenders tends to oc their systems.

Solution