Issues with External RAID0 Array - How do I Isolate the Problem?

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
My video captures are dropping frames, a problem I've isolated to my external USB3 RAID0 array as I can capture just fine to my C:\ drive (which is obviously only feasible as a troubleshooting method).

I have no idea whether it's one of the two 2TB 3.5" drives, or both of them, or the enclosure, or all three, and I'd like to avoid replacing any gear that doesn't need replacing as I've already bought a new laptop thinking that was the issue.

Is there any way I can isolate the problem? I do have important data on the array.

Solution

Individually, the manufacturers test suite.
Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard.
First of all I would back up any important data that is on that RAID since, if you loose one drive, all data will be gone.

The easiest thing to try is to replace the USB cable since they can become flaky after several connects and disconnects.

Is there a utility from the manufacturer to check the health status of the drives?

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Rebooting yesterday finally killed the drive completely, and it threw a 'drive is corrupted and unreadable' error. So the data is gone.

I pulled both drives and put them individually into another enclosure I have. One showed up in Disk Management pretty quickly as a GPT with no option to initialise or format it or anything else. The other took a while to show up, displayed as Unallocated and provided me with an 'initialise' option in the right-click menu.

USAFRet

Titan

1 dead drive in a RAID 0 = all data is lost.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I'm aware. Thankfully it was just VHS captures, so it cane be redone, but it's gonna take a while.

My question now is which drive is the issue, and whether the enclosure is perhaps causing problems given I've had two dead drives in the space of about ten months in this thing.

koberulz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
What tests should I run?

The one showing up as GPT has "convert to dynamic disk" or something similar as the only right-click option.

USAFRet

Titan

Individually, the manufacturers test suite.
Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard.

Solution