Question Issues with formating new hard drive

NickMcNiel

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
So my desktop recently crashed and kept having a windows loop error. I ran a systems diagnosis and the hard drive failed the Short DST check. I figured I needed a new hard drive.

I bought a new hard drive today and successfully put it in. I had the windows ISO file installed on a USB drive. During the windows installation; it seemed that the USB was installed as a Bootable drive.

When I open the Disk management window, I did not get the prompt to format the new drive. Nor can I create a new volume on the existing drive.

So what do I need to do? Did windows automatically format and partition the new drive upon the fresh install? Do I still need to partition and format my new drive?

Here is a imgur link to the screenshot: View: https://imgur.com/a/BLPVBwJ

Screenshots

NickMcNiel

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
Seriously? I called Geeksquad at best buy. They quoted me $149 just to partition and format the new drive. Apparently they are charging $150 for something that is done automatically.

Thanks for the help.

You've already installed Windows, based on that screenshot.

Yes, the Windows installation media will automatically format/partition the drive as necessary.
You do not need to do any further formatting/partitioning, no.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Seriously? I called Geeksquad at best buy. They quoted me $149 just to partition and format the new drive. Apparently they are charging $150 for something that is done automatically.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, unfortunately the business model (officially or not) for a lot of the big box stores is essentially to take advantage of people who don't know better.

yep they scammed u bro.id sue them in small claims if i was you that was totaly false advertisement and a scam

"Quoted" not "Charged" @Scott Wayne . Sounds like the OP came here before even considering paying the $150

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks for the help.
Yes, that is their business model.

They once tried to charge me $250 for a replacement drive, and purchasing and installing Windows.
In a $350 laptop that was still under warranty, ~90 days after purchase.

Say what you will about big box store they have gotten better. Once I went into Best Buy for a cheap VGA card and they tried to talk me in to buying a monster card, lol. Then the 1st time I went to a Frys in Fountain Valley looking for Cat 5 cable when I asked for it they told me they don't carry pet supplies (I'm not joking!!). The last few time I've been in these stores the sales people are much better educated.

I remember once waiting in line to RMA in FRYs a stereo and I told a friend I recognized a case I sold at work up on the front desk. Next thing I know there's a tap on my should and a guy asked me if I worked in a computer store. I told him I worked as sales for a hardware disty. So he asked me a question which I answered for him and then some one else tapped me on the shoulder and asked a question. Then I noticed a line forming to talk to me while I waited in line to RMA my stereo. It was crazy! The reps are better informed now thank goodness.