Issues with HP simplesave md2000h 2tb external hard drive

xrklkx

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
Hello all,
I've owned the above for quite awhile now and have stored a lot of stuff on it.
anyway just the other day it would 'turn on' and I couldn't connect it to my laptop.
When I plug the Hard drive into a wall socket, usually a blue light flashes, and then the hard drive starts to spin, however when I plugged it in, the blue light wouldn't turn on and then hard drive didn't seem to respond. when I proceed to un plug it though, usually the blue light flashes once, but this time when I unplugged it, it flashed twice. Really confusing me, as I'm not sure what is wrong with it. I've disassembled it out of the outer casing to see if there was any damage but couldn't find any broken soldering or circuitry. If this can't be fixed, would there be any way to possibly remove the hard drive and extract the Data from it?

Solution
Hi there xrklkx,

As you've already taken the drive out of the enclosure, you can attach it internally to a desktop system with SATA & power cables. That way, you will see if all of this is caused by the enclosure or the cable.
Keep in mind that his may not work in case the device features hardware encryption or has proprietary connectors.

If the drive gets recognized when installed internally, you can try to access it right away. If you can't do that, you can see if some data recovery tool will do the job.
If the drive is nowhere to be recognized(check Disk Management), then you will need to contact a data recovery company, if the data stored on the drive is really important.

You should keep in mind that the important data should...
Hi there xrklkx,

As you've already taken the drive out of the enclosure, you can attach it internally to a desktop system with SATA & power cables. That way, you will see if all of this is caused by the enclosure or the cable.
Keep in mind that his may not work in case the device features hardware encryption or has proprietary connectors.

If the drive gets recognized when installed internally, you can try to access it right away. If you can't do that, you can see if some data recovery tool will do the job.
If the drive is nowhere to be recognized(check Disk Management), then you will need to contact a data recovery company, if the data stored on the drive is really important.

You should keep in mind that the important data should always be stored on at least two places.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution