Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I have little experience with legacy hardware, so please excuse my confusion.

So long story short, I don't want to buy a new DVD drive. I'll never use it and it's not worth my investment. I do have an old, legacy Sony DVD ROM (circa 2006).
The older DVD drive utilises an IDE connector (of course), but luckily, I have an adaptor handy.

It's because I'd like to enjoy this copy of COD4: MW (original) that I can't get to work any other way and take a trip down memory lane.

It's a generic red adaptor with sata>IDE and IDE>sata, as well as that 4 pin power connector. I have it all hooked up, LED on and all, but I cannot for the life of me get the DVD drive to work with my Win10 PC.

Here's what I know:
-Device is shown as 'Unknown Device' in device manager, under disk drives.
-Most recent entry in events tab shows 'Device not migrated'
-I've tried uninstalling IDE controllers as well as the device in device manager, to no avail.
-Booting takes a long time with the device connected (I assume because the BIOS is trying to make sense of this device)
-In the BIOS, sata 4 (the port its connected to) is 'Not occupied', even when windows detects it as Unknown Device.
-Hot plug on the sata port is enabled.

Is there something I'm missing? I have the jumper pins in master.

The DVD drive seems to function fine. No out of the ordinary noises(for a 14 year old drive) and it takes in discs no problem.

I am unable to find anywhere online that says what jumper pins a DVD drive should be using if it is being connected via sata through an IDE-sata bridge.

Is it slave? CS?

I've provided a couple screenshots for anybody who understands this stuff.
Device manager
Events

Thank you so much for reading!

EDIT:
*Link to my device manual
*Link to the adaptor I am using

Last edited:
Solution
It's a generic red adaptor with sata>IDE and IDE>sata, as well as that 4 pin power connector.
Make sure you have it set up the right way around,it could be that you are connecting the sata port as a device to the ide device as the port,the sata cable should be on the port that says sata=>ide HDD,also a lot of times (if all pin holes are free) it is possible to connect the IDE cable upside down which will cause the device to not be recognized.

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Could it be that your adapter does not support ATAPI devices?

Which SATA-IDE bridge IC does it use?
I'm not entirely sure as I'm out of the know when it comes to older devices that use PATA.

I do however have the link here for you that leads to the exact model I'm using. They're quite common and generic, there's even a few videos on youtube covering them.
Exact device
YouTube video showing similar device

It's a generic red adaptor with sata>IDE and IDE>sata, as well as that 4 pin power connector.
Make sure you have it set up the right way around,it could be that you are connecting the sata port as a device to the ide device as the port,the sata cable should be on the port that says sata=>ide HDD,also a lot of times (if all pin holes are free) it is possible to connect the IDE cable upside down which will cause the device to not be recognized.

Solution