[SOLVED] Issues with micro stuttering in CSGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2019
Sorry for the long read

Purchased and installed my Ryzen 3600 on July 10th, cleaned off stock thermal paste from cpu cooler and used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste with the stock Wraith Stealth cooler. Everything worked fine until August 1st.

Ever since Aug 1 I have been playing CSGO and I receive micro stutters for a few frames at a time (although frames do not drop) these micro stutters are normally at least once or twice per minute. They last probably less than a 100ms

These micro stutters also occur on other games (Fortnite, Black ops 2, etc)

Frames on CS stay above 300fps

Frames on Fortnite sometimes come down to 230fps but mostly stay at around 300fps

I've added a few screenshots of HWinfo64 during a 15 minute game on CSGO, temps dont seem to be a problem (what I suspected), ryzen master reports similar temps during gaming

Upgraded from a 144hz monitor on July 23 to a 240hz,I've had the 240hz ever since July 23, and the micro stuttering problems started on aug 1

I have tried the monitor on 144hz settings as well as 240hz

My usage for cpu, gpu and ram never maxes out

I've tried basically everything that I can think of.

The case, ssd, and psu are all about 4 years old, the motherboard and ram is 4 months old, and the processor was bought 3 weeks ago, the graphics card is a year old

Used a Ryzen 2600 up until the 3600 with exact same PC, the 2600 worked fine for the 3 months I had it

Things I have tried:
  • Restored PC 3 times with fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro
  • Done all Windows Updates
  • Reinstalled + verified game cache on both CSGO and Fortnite
  • Factory reset BIOS, and factory reset monitor settings
  • Used Fixed Refresh and G Sync Compatible in Nvidia 3D settings
  • Reinstalled + fresh installed with DDU nvidia display drivers ( tried both newest version and older versions)
  • Installed AMD Chipset drivers
  • Updated BIOS
  • Tried both normal and high priority for CSGO
  • Tried -nojoy, -threads 12, -freq 240 launch options in CS
  • Played with G pro wireless, g703, and Fk1
  • Tried to play on G sync on and off
  • Tried running stock settings and Precision Boost Overdrive
  • Tried AMD balanced plan, AMD high performance power plan, Balanced and High Performance
  • Disabled automatic driver updates in windows update
  • Tried to look for HPET in BIOS but couldn't find it
  • Tried disabling full screen optimizations in CSGO properties tab, but this gave lower frames still with the micro stuttering
  • Latencymon showed green only
  • Disabled Connected Users Experiences and Telemetry service
  • Used O&O Shutup10 with recommended settings
  • playing on ethernet
  • Set prefer maximum performance and high performance settings in NVIDIA control panel
  • tried fps_max 0 and fps_max 300
  • tried maximum pre rendered frames on 1 in nvidia control panel
  • tried the monitor on 144hz settings as well as 240hz
Screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/KpEoxi7
(Album on imgur)
1st column is "current", 2nd column is "minimum, 3rd column is "maximum" and 4th column is "average"

Comp specs:
CPU : Ryzen 3600 w/ Wraith Stealth cooler
MB : MSI B350 Tomahawk
GPU : MSI GTX 1070 G1 8GB
RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2x8GB (in dual channel) 2666MHz
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU : EVGA 600B 600W
Monitor : Alienware AW2518hf Freesync 240hz
Mice : Logitech G703
Case: corsair 300r w/ stock fans
Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 w/ all windows updates, fully activated

Last edited:
Solution
Hello. I've had this problem before. Essentually what happens is the cpu is power managing itself by repeatedly upclocking and downclocking itself as it needs it. In cs:go this causes the microstutter. I'd reccomend if you want to fix this issue you go into the bios and turn off power management. (It might be called AMD PowerNow still?) Since your pc is really new it's probably called something else. But what this is going to do is make it run always at the specified speed all of the time instead of going up and down.

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
Hello. I've had this problem before. Essentually what happens is the cpu is power managing itself by repeatedly upclocking and downclocking itself as it needs it. In cs:go this causes the microstutter. I'd reccomend if you want to fix this issue you go into the bios and turn off power management. (It might be called AMD PowerNow still?) Since your pc is really new it's probably called something else. But what this is going to do is make it run always at the specified speed all of the time instead of going up and down.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.