Question Issues with my Gaming PC

Kuroshi_Tsui

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to run this by and see if anyone has any opinions, I recently upgraded a lot of components on my PC and my OS. I recently bought an Aorus 2080Ti from a friend who decided to sell his PC, the GPU is pretty new, only a month or two old. When I first started gaming with the new GPU, the GPU was on automatic fan control so I assumed it can take care of everything (Used ASUS GPU Tweak). My PC started to shut off for no reason, assuming that it was my CPU (had a dead motherboard, RMA'd and got it back and put everything together so it works now.) I took everything apart from my PC just to reseat the CPU but noticed the GPU was superrrrrrr hot. Like microwave plate hot. Next time around I booted my PC, everything worked I was watching the GPU temp on automatic fan control and it was reaching temps of 50-60c. My PC again shuts off during gaming, so the next time around I set the fan speed on manual, anywhere between 75-90%. It shuts down only when I play games, really need some help on troubleshooting this and finding out what the issue is. I also switched my fan control program from Asus Tweak to the Aorus Engine and the program will freeze when I change the fan speed. My display would stop responding as well. I also get GPU Clock and Mem Clock spikes as well, don't really know what's going on? Everything is updated to the latest firmware, GPU Driver, motherboard BIOs and OS. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong here? Specs of my PC provided below!

Windows 10 x64
Aorus GeForce RTX 2080Ti
Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.2GHZ
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro
32GB Ram DDR4 Tridentz G-Skills
Asus Code IX Maximum Motherboard
Thermaltake TPower 850W RGB PSU
x1 (M.2 Samsung Evo 970)
x1 (SSD Samsung Evo 850)
x1 (WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB)

Does your 2080Ti require a pair of 8 pin PCI-e inputs? (Are both connected directly from PSU-provided connectors, vice from any sort of insufficient Y-adapter, etc)

Although your PSU appears to be of sufficient wattage, we can't rule out it being insufficient for whatever reason. Any PSU can fail, regardless of maker, Gold/Platinum in it's name, 800-850W in it's rating/name, and the ever classic 'it is good because it was fine last week and the previous 2 years', etc... :) A rig hard-powering off certainly could point to a PSU issue quickly...(classic symptoms, PSU would be substituted first)

Other possibility is the GPU you bought is not cooled properly, or malfunctioning...

Try reducing it's GPU/mem clocks 5% and retesting for stability...

Or, test this GPU in another rig with a known good PSU....

Kuroshi_Tsui

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Does your 2080Ti require a pair of 8 pin PCI-e inputs? (Are both connected directly from PSU-provided connectors, vice from any sort of insufficient Y-adapter, etc)

Although your PSU appears to be of sufficient wattage, we can't rule out it being insufficient for whatever reason. Any PSU can fail, regardless of maker, Gold/Platinum in it's name, 800-850W in it's rating/name, and the ever classic 'it is good because it was fine last week and the previous 2 years', etc... :) A rig hard-powering off certainly could point to a PSU issue quickly...(classic symptoms, PSU would be substituted first)

Other possibility is the GPU you bought is not cooled properly, or malfunctioning...

Try reducing it's GPU/mem clocks 5% and retesting for stability...

Or, test this GPU in another rig with a known good PSU....

Hey Mdd!

Yes the GPU does require the power pins and I do have them plugged in! I also did try changing out the plug to another one but I get the same results. I was thinking it might be the PSU but haven't had much luck lately with my PC. Seems like bad luck is riding on me right now, I recently bought a 1000W Corsair Platinum PSU that was refurbished on amazon hoping it would solve my problems. Instead of solving it, it caused damages to my PC which was really a bummer. 5 of my RGB fans no longer work properly and one of my 2TB hard drives got fried so I lost a lot of data.