Issues with networking between router and wireless extender

poustyboy

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
For a few months now I have been having issues with this network that I revamped in February of this year. My network setup includes a Asus RT-N56U Router, a NETGEAR CM400-1AZNAS Modem, and a NETGEAR EX2700 Wifi Extender for my mother which for the majority of the time uses it to stream video on her Chromecast and do casual searching on google and facebook. All was good and well until later in the year sometime in July soon after I made an upgrade to my cpu, motherboard, ram that I started having issues. All my hardware specs can be found here. During that time and up until now my mother has been experiencing issues with connecting to things like Netflix and applications along those lines. At first, I just wrote it off that it was their side of things and didn't involve our network at the time, but when it started to devolve into a daily issue I knew it was more than just that. After that, I started from doing full restarts of all network devices involved with it with no luck. After that, I did some speed tests over at the other side of my house when my computer is on versus when it is off because my mother told me she could tell a difference between when I was home and when I was gone with a considerable difference in speed even though I wasn't on any network intensive programs. It's also important to consider that these speeds that I was getting were overall lower than before when I first installed everything in the house. Directly connected to the router I receive around 120Mbps Download speed. After multiple complaints from my mother about the internet with both her and myself frustrated about the situation. I decided to take the wifi extender and bring it closer to the main access point; probably 5 feet from it. Here I did the same tests before and had the same result or even worse in some cases than before. This made me believe the issues that we were having was with the wifi extender. I did a couple of factory resets of the devices and reconnected it back with the same network with it working as optimal as before this situation. No more than two days later my mother was experiencing the same issues again. If someone could be kind enough to help me figure where this problem lies please leave a comment below. If you need any more information than what is provided ask and I'll provide you with that information.

JackM3

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Did you possibly bump something when you were working. Try resetting the router. Sorry im not the best a networking but figured I could try to help. Hope something works. :)

poustyboy

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Yes i have tried resetting all my devices including the router with no luck. I also made sure everything was snuggly plugged in but I'm still experiencing the same issues.

poustyboy

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

No the router was never moved only the wifi extender. The reason I ever moved the the extender was for testing but once I was done with it I put it in the same position.