Issues with new build

Spiffyguy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have been battling gremlins with this new system and I am looking for some advice. Here are the current parts.

Core I7 920
OCZ 6 gb tri channel
Motherboard was Asus P6T se and is now ASROCK X58 Extreme
Samsung F1 750 gb sata
Video card was Visiontek 5870 but is now a GF6800

I got all the parts installed with Windows 7 pro 64bit last month. Seemed to be running ok with the Nvida 6800. Video seemed slow and sluggish but I attributed that to a crappy vid card. The 5870 showed up and I installed that after removing all the drivers. Vid card drivers would not install. I had the CPU OC to 3.6 so backed of to standard just in case. Still drivers would not install. I could get video with standard MS drivers and in safe mode but the ATI would not fly. Went a few rounds with ATI and decided to RMA the motherboard, mainly because i had a few vid drop outs with the 6800 until drivers were installed and it is also very hard to get hands on a 5870.

New Asus p6t se shows up. set everything and ATI drivers install just fine. Everything seems good. Steady at 3.6 with no cooling issues at all, I have a V8 on it. Then video would go big block pixels and crash. So I dropped CPU back to standard speed, still having video crash issues and general funkiness. So I RMA the video card and Motherboard this time. I change over to an Asrock X58 Extreme. My brother has one with 5870 and other parts are the same. Figured if he is having good luck perhaps I will too. So I install fresh copy of windows with the Nvidia 6800 installed. I expect RMA on 5870 to be awhile. Still having some issues. I have gotten two or three just crashes and two big block video drop outs/reboots. I was running at 3.6 but backed off to standard. I ran prime at 3.6 for 30 minutes with no errors. I handbrake encoded some mkvs for about 3 hours without issue, then big block video drop. I am now encoding no issues for a few hours at standard cpu speed, so far no issues. Temps are about 52c on all cores.

So I have a gremlin somewhere and I am not sure what it is or how to test for it. I am looking for some suggestions to try. I am out of RMA with newegg for the cpu and ram so I would need to deal with manufacture if they are bad. I thought running prime and encoding would be a good test of CPU but now I am not sure.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Well that is a good PSU, so I doubt that is the problem.

Try clearing it anyway and then setting your RAM voltages and speeds to default. Default BIOS does not always match what your RAM should be at.

JohnnyMaverick

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
You swapped out the motherboard and didn't do a clean install of Windows? That's the very first thing I would have done and most likely the reasons why you're having so many issues now.

Spiffyguy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
so reset bios and it seems to be stable at 2.67. I been trying to OC to it to 3.6 but not too stable. But I think that is more of an overclocking issue that anything else.