[SOLVED] Issues with Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM

Dec 4, 2019
So I ordered two of these to supplement my Fractal Meshify C's two stock fans. However on arrival, it seems I can't mount them. The holes in the corner of the fan bracket have no threads, the screws that came with the fan have nothing to grip. I'm at a loss and a bit depressed, finally ready to get building and then a bump in the road immediately. I poured over reviews on the shopping page and in articles, and there everyone's happy with these things and don't seem to be having my issues. A more tech savvy friend of mine poked around and seem to conclude these were mean as radiator fans, but in multiple reviews people talk about using them for their case and make no mention of having any trouble screwing them in; just occasionally talking about no anti-vibration pads.

Am I missing something somehow? Do I need mounts I just don't have? I almost feel scammed. Any advice on how I make these work?

Note: My case (Meshify C) uses slats for case fan installation, for adjustable position. This seems to rule out using rubber mounts.

The fans
The case

Solution
I must admit, I don't think I fully understand the question.

Fans only have a 'hole', not threading. As you screw into them, the screws grip the plastic, creating their own threading...
Dec 4, 2019
So I'm just stupid? I can believe that.It's really confusing then comparing to my stock fans is all. I guess my next question is how should one getting the right leverage to create threads like that.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are there actual holes in the fan? There's no threading, but there are obvious holes to start you off ...

If two people have taken a look at it and it's not obvious, then there may be an issue.

Can you post a pic of your fans? Not the stock image, a picture of the actual fans your working with?

Dec 4, 2019
SG6wyyU.jpg

tried to show the corner, so you can see there's no threads. All the other corners are much the same on both of them.

Dec 4, 2019
Yeah, your first post had the answer. I just didn't know that about case fans, having never worked with them myself before. I just went through with threading the screws by hand and everything looks good. Thanks.