[SOLVED] Issues with online gaming connectivity

Nov 8, 2020
So i recently got a new laptop a couple months ago and everything on it has been fine up until about a week ago.

When I play games that connect to a server everything is just fine like when i play overwatch or CoD but when i play games that connect people just to the host (Grim Dawn and Raft is what has been happening to me) if im the host im fine but the people connected to me get 3-15 second freezes constantly and if they host it happens to me, when they play without me they are fine so its me, ive tested on wifi and direct connected and on multiple ISPs and its still happening and it never happened before.

I have checked all drivers and updates and everything is up to date

Laptop Specs are Alinware Area 51 M-R2
CPU - Core i9 10900
GPU - GeForce RTX 2080 Super
Memory - 64GB Dual Channel 2933MHz
Storage - 2x 1TB SSDs in Raid 0

Solution
Leave a constant ping run in the background to some ip like 8.8.8.8. What you are looking for is if you see issues at the same time as your game has problems.

What you describe is very strange since most network issues do not care what you are actually running over the network they all should have issues. This is why when you see very strange issues and "killer" you blame that since it magically fixes things for many people.

Depending on what kind of router/modem you have can you plug directly into the modem so you get the public ip directly on your pc. This would eliminate the router as some strange port forwarding issue as the cause. It is very strange only some games are affected.
Nov 8, 2020
look like it got a killer Ethernet, try turn off anything from killer/dell that control network connection

yeah my wifi and ethernet are both killer, how do i not use them though?

also if thats it why was it working for the first month and a half or so just fine and now its going wonky?

MIcrosoft might have "helped" you with a patch. Killer is known for unstable drivers but microsoft seems to cause issues for them also. The whole concept of "gamer" drivers is stupid. You can not affect traffic outside your machine and if you have a network overload internal to the machine it is becuase you are doing something stupid. People download big stuff in the backgorund or run torrents at the same time as your game deserve poor performance. Hoping a magic driver can let you do stupid stuff is even more stupid.

In any case your first step is to find whatever they currently call their "gamer" priority software and uninstall it. This does not eliminate all the issues many times. You need to go to killers site and find the "driver only" download. These drivers should not contain any of the killer features. Not sure about the wifi ones and if they have the garbage imbedded in those also.

When I look for motherboards it NOT having a killer chipset is one of the very first things I look for after actually replacing a motherboard because of this garbage

Leave a constant ping run in the background to some ip like 8.8.8.8. What you are looking for is if you see issues at the same time as your game has problems.

What you describe is very strange since most network issues do not care what you are actually running over the network they all should have issues. This is why when you see very strange issues and "killer" you blame that since it magically fixes things for many people.

Depending on what kind of router/modem you have can you plug directly into the modem so you get the public ip directly on your pc. This would eliminate the router as some strange port forwarding issue as the cause. It is very strange only some games are affected.

Solution