Issues with outputting 5.1 Surround through HDMI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015
My two options are as follows and they both are possessing big hurdles I can't manage to get through

1. While trying to setup my computer through a passthrough on my Onkyo HT-r557 Receiver, my computer fails to recognize the monitor I'm trying to connect to. It will display the monitor just fine on startup but when windows is loaded, my main monitor just starts blinking off and on and not showing up at all on the monitor I'm trying to use. The receiver has the proper port selected as a DVD on Hdmi port 1. I'm wondering if some sort of limitation on this older receiver may be causing this but I'm unsure.

2. While outputting through hdmi straight to the monitor, and using an optical cable to connect the tv to the receiver, I do not get the option to use anything but stereo. 5.1 is not present. I made sure all of my drivers were up to date and I see no reason I wouldn't be able to. I see that there are options within my sound settings called "Nvidia output". There is two of them, I don't know if those are related but they say "Not plugged in." For your reference, I'm using a Z-170A asus motherboard.

Ultimately I just want the best sound with any added convenience.

Solution
optical cable will be forever limited to stereo PCM due to low bandwith....dont understand why are you so hooked on it that much...
so the only option is HDMI, it can send uncompressed 7.1 just fine, but your device has to support it
some of your TV/receiever settings are messed up as gpu doesnt see anything behind your TV, and your tv acts as a 2 channel stereo, so your nvidia wont let u use more channels
so either pc -> receiver with hdmi cable or fix your tv/receiver settings

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

It is connected through the AVR passthrough. Although, it doesn't appear to recognize the AVR. Also, I don't think I can purely pass on the audio to the AVR. What I mean by that is: the audio only gets pack to the AVR with the optical cable being connected from the TV to the AVR. So I need the computer to send a 5.1 surround signal to the tv regardless. Is my problem to do with the tv not wanting to accept a 5.1 connection? I don't understand really.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might be an idea to start again and detail how you have your setup. Hdmi cables to and from and which inputs.

List your TV and monitor model.

Those other Nvidia outputs not plugged in would be the other video ports on the graphics card (Displayport & Hdmi)

-----

Setup example

Gtx 1070 to Onkyo Hdmi DVD input. 2nd Hdmi cable from Onkyo Hdmi out to Tv.

Only way optical cable would return audio is if you had the pc connected to the Tv and had the Onkyo set to digital Tv.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think there's a setup issue here, something simple hopefully.

Optical wont give you what you want. The cable itself is physically limited, as in not as much bandwidth to transmit 5.1 lossless audio. Best the tv can do is send 2.1

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

My current setup is as follows:

PC (Motherboard: Asus-Z170-A & Windows 10) <---HDMI ---> Receiver (Onkyo HT-R557 [This is an older receiver if that makes a difference]) <---HDMI ---> Samsung UN50MU6070F 4k Smart Tv <---Optical Cable----> Receiver (Onkyo HT-R557 [This is an older receiver if that makes a difference]) <---Assorted Audio Cables---> 5.1 Surround Speakers

If I were to try the set up with just the hdmi cables connecting, restart my computer and tv, is it possible it would allow me to send a 5.1 surround connection then?

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Oops, Copied that from another thread I made so it looks a little odd but there it is now.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It seems you have it setup right. Just to clarify, when you say Motherboard Asus-Z170-A you do actually mean GTX 1070 correct? I've noticed you keep mentioning the motherboard. The motherboard does have a Hdmi port, this port uses the integrated Intel graphics chip. I think you are using the 1070 because you wouldn't be able to set Nvidia high definition in audio playback devices. Just wanted to find out what you mean by Asus Z170-A is all.

Not sure if this is your manual. I searched Onkyo HT-R557 specification and google's results gave me a pdf link to HT-SP904 - Onkyo USA but has in description HT-R557. Just wanted to make sure.

In this pdf manual page 28. Mentions turning off TV speakers. Now i think it just means TVs speakers don't interfere with the sound, but it got me thinking, is it possible the TV speakers if not muted is causing your stereo problems that the AVR's passthrough is somehow being limited by the TV? Try mute the TV speakers.

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

I initially just listed the motherboard to ensure anybody reading would know my motherboard should have the capability to do 5.1 surround. Which I assume is important but I'm unsure. I do have it connected by the graphics card.

As far as that goes I can try it out, I will let you know as I can't experiment right now. I really appreciate your help a lot, you seem to know what you're talking about for sure.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If it helps better understand your computer i'll explain what the items are in the list.

UGrdZ9r.png

The top three Nvidia High Def is the graphics card (Hdmi and Displayport). The 1070 has it's own audio chip separate from the motherboard.

Further down the list is Speakers (Realtek) which are the analog jacks

Then theres Realtek Digital Output. This is the Optical connection on the motherboard, same with Realtek Hdmi Output which is the Hdmi port.

Realtek Hdmi is left side of DVI. Optical is under the black anolog jack.
ASUS%20Z170-A%20Rear%20IO.jpg

Typical picture of GTX 1070, sets of Hdmi and Displayport which either can transmit upto 7.1 lossless audio. Same i would expect from Realtek's digital audio from the motherboard.

ba1611f609072b6713454ddbd075dd2a.1600.jpg

-----

Have you tried another Hdmi cable? Or switch the Hdmi cables in use around?

Have you tried optical from the motherboard?

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

I have tried several HDMI cables with no luck in identifying any messed up ones. I'd assume there should be no such thing as a hdmi too old for this or something? Also, I've tried the optical from the motherboard and windows/realtek audio manager shows no sign of providing 5.1 surround sound.

And now for some reason I have yet to identify, my computer is failing to ouput through the avs again. But maybe I'm just at odds and need to take a break to think clearly about this.

Also I'm curious, for hdmi to carry the sound, which setting would I be best off using on the avs, and also the tv?

Under "Digital Input" it gives me the option for "Opt 1, Opt 2, Coax 1, Coax 2, --"

Meanwhile there's a seperate set of options under the "Listening Modes"
These list all the sorts of types of audio like dolby pro logic, mono, stereo, so on
Within those there's a greyed out "HDMI" that no matter what I do I cannot get to light up, while I've been testing it with the ps4, so no sound through hdmi. Tried this with the ps4's output setting on "Bitstream(Dolby)"

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015
There is also a note on page 28 of the Manual that states: "Audio and video signals received via the HDMI IN 1 and 2 jacks are output by the HDMI OUT jack as they are (HDMI pass-through)"

So I guess my receiver is incapable of processing sound through the hdmi?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It does sound like theres something set in the AVR preventing surround from Hdmi. PS4 is a good example.

Page 28 just means anything connected to hdmi 1 or 2 will pass through the amp to the tv which is normal.

When you use the ps4, do you get sound coming from the speakers? How about tv speakers?

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

It is on auto yeah. And I have it on direct now and still nothing.

There's also this line if you haven't seen: "However, if you want to listen through the speakers connected to the AV receiver, in addition to an HDMI connection, you’ll also need to make a separate analog or digital audio connection."

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

I do get some form of proper 5.1 surround from my ps4 when connecting is back to the avs with an optical cable. This plays on the speakers and sounds quite nice so I'm satisfied with it.

My PC strictly sends a stereo signal no matter what I've done but it still plays through the speakers as well. (Only with the optical cable as well.)

Again, there has to be some function with HDMI that I'm missing because it clearly has that unhighlighted "HDMI" text on the lcd display. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help solve this, I'm completely out of ideas, I've tried all the many audio settings on every source, on the avs and on my tv.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
From my experience with my Yamaha RX 1800 (2009 model) avr is i just connect PC to hdmi and press surround decode on avr. Decode button sets it to decode original source (pcm) from ps3 and also pc. Pc picks it up and i can set 5.1 or 7.1.

Your avr by the sounds of it is limiting your Pc's selection. It might be too old but not sure.

That digital button, have you tried setting it to pcm?

kittybooze

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Yeah I'm beginning to think the avr is just too old to push the audio through hdmi properly. Which I'm really disappointed by, but if I'm able to pick up a better avr in the future i'm happy, since the rest of these speakers are amazing.

I can only set PCM to either of the optical or coaxial slots, there's no way to just set anything else.

optical cable will be forever limited to stereo PCM due to low bandwith....dont understand why are you so hooked on it that much...
so the only option is HDMI, it can send uncompressed 7.1 just fine, but your device has to support it
some of your TV/receiever settings are messed up as gpu doesnt see anything behind your TV, and your tv acts as a 2 channel stereo, so your nvidia wont let u use more channels
so either pc -> receiver with hdmi cable or fix your tv/receiver settings

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS