[SOLVED] Issue's with overclocking

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Hi all I seem to be having an issue with overclocking and games crashing to desktop. I recently tried overclocking and the card will overclock fine using EVGA Precision I will then test the overclock using MSI Kombustor and 3d mark it will run nice and stable but as soon as I load up a game such as Skyrim SE it will Crash to desktop when it's finished loading. As soon as I removed the overclock it was fine again. Any demanding games such as fallout 4, Cities Skylines will Crash to desktop at any moment, Beings games will crash as soon as the card is overclocked I'm wondering if that suggests the card is the problem. I can restart the game it has crashed on go back to the same point again and it will be fine again it can run for hours playing the same game then all of a sudden Crash. Just tested the overclocking theory out and as soon as the game has finished loading and is about to display the game it will CTD the GPU load will spike so will the Memory on the GPU as well. Would an under clock stabilise it for now? All my temps are normal and sit around 30 degrees

My Pc Specs are
Intel I7 6700K
GTX 780
8GB DDR4 Corsair ram
Z170 Pro gaming motherboard
all cooled by water cooling

Solution
That's definitely what happens when you've set unstable OC settings on a GPU... generally you apply more voltage to remedy unstable OC settings.

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
Thanks for the replies even with the littlest bit overclock games crash it has just crashed to desktop just now without any overclock. It seems to mainly crash when I go to the dense parts when it is loading textures. I am right in thinking it has something to do with my GPU. When i first got the card I was running a corsair CX600 so I thought it was happening due to the power supply so I got a Corsair HX1050 and it was still no better.