[SOLVED] Issues with packet loss

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
So I've recently got a new Nighthawk R8000 router, which is doing fairly well, but today I'm suddenly getting upwards of 10% packet loss in Fortnite, which is pretty much unplayable.

Solution
If you have packet loss between your PC and the router, that is the ONLY thing you can control. All the devices past your router are your ISP's responsibility.
You could do a traceroute to your Fortnite server. Then you would have to ping each hop along the way to determine which hop is causing problems. But all you can do is report it to your ISP.
You could try a different server. It would probably have a different network path and might not have the problem. You could try a VPN which might have a different network path and not have the losses.
There is very little you are in control of.

kanewolf

Titan
If you have packet loss between your PC and the router, that is the ONLY thing you can control. All the devices past your router are your ISP's responsibility.
You could do a traceroute to your Fortnite server. Then you would have to ping each hop along the way to determine which hop is causing problems. But all you can do is report it to your ISP.
You could try a different server. It would probably have a different network path and might not have the problem. You could try a VPN which might have a different network path and not have the losses.
There is very little you are in control of.

Solution
That tends the be the difference between a business account and a consumer account. It depends on whats in the contract but many of our office connections from ATT or Verizon said someone would be onsite within 4 hrs 24x7 365 days a year. I am sure they paid a lot.

Maybe consider getting a DSL as a backup. It depends what your actual lose is due to outage compared to the cost of the second internet connection.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
That tends the be the difference between a business account and a consumer account. It depends on whats in the contract but many of our office connections from ATT or Verizon said someone would be onsite within 4 hrs 24x7 365 days a year. I am sure they paid a lot.

Maybe consider getting a DSL as a backup. It depends what your actual lose is due to outage compared to the cost of the second internet connection.
I'm moving in 3 weeks so it doesn't make a big difference but I'm just kinda sitting around waiting for Wednesday now. Also, I'm just a guy, not a business.