[SOLVED] Issues with picking a motherboard

Orgazia

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I decided to purchase a new computer and have been playing around with PCPart Picker, however it seems like no matter what motherboard I choose for AMD Ryzen 5 3600, it says that I might have compatibility issues, because of the BIOS update. Is there a way to tell which mobo is actually compatible with the processor?

I've been out of the loop for about 7 years now, so this is all new to me. I went through the mobo tutorial and the how- to's but still unclear on that compatibility. Thank you in advance!

Solution
I decided to purchase a new computer and have been playing around with PCPart Picker, however it seems like no matter what motherboard I choose for AMD Ryzen 5 3600, it says that I might have compatibility issues, because of the BIOS update. Is there a way to tell which mobo is actually compatible with the processor?

I've been out of the loop for about 7 years now, so this is all new to me. I went through the mobo tutorial and the how- to's but still unclear on that compatibility. Thank you in advance!
Motherboards from odler chipset B350,B450,X370,X470 will need a bios update with an older Ryzen CPU to be compatible with Ryzen 3000. Although X570 and every MSI B450,X470 model ending with "MAX" are out of the box compatible...

Motherboards from odler chipset B350,B450,X370,X470 will need a bios update with an older Ryzen CPU to be compatible with Ryzen 3000. Although X570 and every MSI B450,X470 model ending with "MAX" are out of the box compatible with Ryzen 3000. I would suggest you to look for MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX its one of the best "budget" motherboards for Ryzen 3000 and its out of the box compatible.

Solution

Orgazia

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Motherboards from odler chipset B350,B450,X370,X470 will need a bios update with an older Ryzen CPU to be compatible with Ryzen 3000. Although X570 and every MSI B450,X470 model ending with "MAX" are out of the box compatible with Ryzen 3000. I would suggest you to look for MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX its one of the best "budget" motherboards for Ryzen 3000 and its out of the box compatible.
Wow. Thank you for this answer!

There is another thing to look for in addition to looking for MSI's B450 "MAX" boards and X570 boards.

Ryzen 3000 has been out long enough that most large retailers have moved older product and should have all their B450 and X470 stock updated. But since that's not a sure thing be sure to confirm you'd be getting one that is compatible and has a 'Ryzen 3000 Ready' sticker on the box or will exchange it should it not be.

It's a lot less likely that B350 or X370 stock has been since those boards pre-date even Ryzen 2000, so what they have is far more likely to be new/old stock.

Reactions: Orgazia

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
has a 'Ryzen 3000 Ready' sticker on the box or will exchange it should it not be.

I made note on a Paul's Hardware vid I was watching last night for the $430 build where he said the same thing.

I would look specifically on the manufacturer website to be sure that was the case. There are two commonly used wordings. Compatible with….. and Ryzen xxxx Ready. In my own experience with both ASRock and MSI, what "ready" actually meant was that there was a BIOS available to make it "compatible".
If you cannot specifically verify that I would stick with the "Max" boards which ARE specific in their verbiage.

Reactions: Orgazia

TRENDING THREADS