Issues with powerline & two routers setup

renifer77

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Hi all,
Basing partly on the advice from this forum I have attempted to build the following network: BT HomeHub 5 as main router, 2x powerline adapters (TP-LINK AV1200 Kit) and a Sky Hub Sr102 as "repeater". The setup seems to work, but... not quite.

Prior to connecting I have disabled DHCP on the Sky (secondary) router. I tried to change the IP on this router, but everytime I did, I wasn't able to connect to this IP anymore. My primary router's IP range is 192.168.1.... and the secondary router's 192.168.0. .... Finally I decided I must've been doing something wrong and left the secondary router without any other changes than switching off DHCP.
I then connected it via Ethernet to my PC which worked and then I connected the powerline adapter to the secondary router (LAN). However, I have since then been unable to get to the secondary router's management page and it also isn't listed as a device on my primary router's IP list. As such I don't know how to assign a static IP to it (???) and I also don't know which channel is connects to. I have set the primary router to 6 as previously the secondary router usually connected to 11 by itself.
In addition, the connection seems to drop out periodically on various devices. I can't really discern any pattern there. I have a PC (custom-built), 2 iPhones and an Ipad. There are also other devices at home connected to the primary router. One of my iPhones won't even pick up the details of the secondary router network when it's trying to connect to it (as in, the entries in the Network Information page are blank).

The network is across two floors and the LED indicators on the powerline kits are all green.

////Update

I ran a Wifi scan and the secondary router is indeed on channel 11. However, most of neighbouring networks are on 1, so I set the primary back to 11 to see what happens. No difference so far.....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solution

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015

You can't use a sky router at a repeater if you have BT, broadband ISP'S lock there routers so you only get the best speed if you are using there broadband service. i would recommend buying another secondary router, nothing special such as a TP-LINK TL-WR841N

Solution