Question Issues with RAM causes quick freezes

crazyhanuka

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
Hi guys,

I started having issues with the RAM I assume which is the reason why I've decided to run MemTest86.

I would need some help on what to do based on the information I give you.

When choosing my PC parts I decided to look at the pcpartpicker at different configurations and with the budget that I had I bought the following configuration:

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Schwarz 32GB DDR4 Kit (2x16GB) RAM multicoloured illumination x2 DDR4 (Meaning I have 4 sticks of 16GB each or 64 GB in total), 3600 MHz (PC4-28800) DIMM 288 Pin, CL18 no.:CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
MBU: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
SSD1: Crucial P5 Plus SSD NVMe 3D NAND PCIe M.2 Gen4 1TB
SSD2: Crucial P5 Plus SSD NVMe 3D NAND PCIe M.2 Gen4 2TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P3 80+ Platinum
GPU: ASUS TUF GeForce RTX3090 GAMING OC TUF-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING
AIO: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420

And I saw the exact same configuration on pcpartpicker so I decided to buy this one as well. I bought all the parts, installed everything correctly and I tried to boot my PC and then it wouldn't boot. So I checked the RAM and it was by default at 3600MHz, then I changed it to 3200MHz and the PC boot without any issues. I installed a few games and everything was working fine.

Then, not long ago, I started having like quick freezes. I have 2 monitors as well, and if I work on let's say 1 monitor and sometimes if I try to open youtube to listen to some song and drag the tab from 1 monitor to the 2nd monitor I might get a quick freeze and that was it. Most likely 1 quick freeze per day and same goes with the games.

By the way, for some reason after I've changed last night the RAM from 3200 MHz to 3600MHz the PC I decided to run the MemTest86, so these results that you see are from 3600MHz. And since my PC successfully boot with 3600MHz I thought that it works fine, but apparently after I opened a new tab I got a BSOD and after I've changed the RAM from 3600MHz to 3200MHz everything works great.

I have to let you know that I haven't updated the BIOS of my motherboard. I haven't tested to see if the PC will work with only 2 sticks at 3600MHz but what is your suggestion in this case? What I should do?

Also the results from MemTest86 are here

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/6/folders/1IdzLrhPC3-sYX9MUSbHwwt6xVzzG6e_Q

I have added the log file, HTML file and a few pictures that I took during the process.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
That ram is looking a tad warm, any chance you have room to add a 120mm fan blowing down into the ram? Might want to try the test again with the case open and a fan blowing on the ram to see if temps are causing any instability.

Running 4 sticks could be the problem, any chance it runs 2 @ XMP without errors?

You may want to run both sets in the slots 2nd closest and farthest from the CPU. If both can run fine at XMP separate then you know it's the CPU having issues running 4 at a time rather than a bad stick.

Running 4 sticks can be problematic especially if they are unmatched (not a 4 stick set) It's harder on the CPU memory controller and chances are you have a "daisy chain" memory setup on the mother board, 2 slots are optimized, 2 are running off of those optimized slots and can have some issues. Not uncommon.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazyhanuka

crazyhanuka

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
@Kona45primo @scout_03

I am not gonna lie but I don't know that much about PC's. I mean I successfully managed to build my PC by looking videos/tutorials online lol.

I also didn't knew that 2 sets of 32GB (4x16)'s isn't the same as 1 set (64GB) of either 2 sticks of 32GB each or 4 sticks of 16GB's each. Because I have a set that suppose to be 2x16GB (32GB) so I bought 2 sets of these.

And as far as I am aware you are telling me that I should either get 1 set of either 2 sticks (32gb each) or 4 sticks (16gb each)? Because my current setup isn't going to work? Or I should at least try to unslot 2 sticks and keep only 2 sticks (32GB in total) and set it to 3600MHz and see if that works?

In the BIOS I haven't touched anything to be honest. I took a few pictures.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Last edited:
@Kona45primo @scout_03

I am not gonna lie but I don't know that much about PC's. I mean I successfully managed to build my PC by looking videos/tutorials online lol.

I also didn't knew that 2 sets of 32GB (4x16)'s isn't the same as 1 set (64GB) of either 2 sticks of 32GB each or 4 sticks of 16GB's each. Because I have a set that suppose to be 2x16GB (32GB) so I bought 2 sets of these.

And as far as I am aware you are telling me that I should either get 1 set of either 2 sticks (32gb each) or 4 sticks (16gb each)? Because my current setup isn't going to work? Or I should at least try to unslot 2 sticks and keep only 2 sticks (32GB in total) and set it to 3600MHz and see if that works?

In the BIOS I haven't touched anything to be honest. I took a few pictures.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Need or want?

Not many folks need more than 32GB of ram.
Your call.

crazyhanuka

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
That ram is looking a tad warm, any chance you have room to add a 120mm fan blowing down into the ram? Might want to try the test again with the case open and a fan blowing on the ram to see if temps are causing any instability.

Running 4 sticks could be the problem, any chance it runs 2 @ XMP without errors?

You may want to run both sets in the slots 2nd closest and farthest from the CPU. If both can run fine at XMP separate then you know it's the CPU having issues running 4 at a time rather than a bad stick.

Running 4 sticks can be problematic especially if they are unmatched (not a 4 stick set) It's harder on the CPU memory controller and chances are you have a "daisy chain" memory setup on the mother board, 2 slots are optimized, 2 are running off of those optimized slots and can have some issues. Not uncommon.

Regarding the suggestion of pointing a fan towards the RAM. I do indeed have in total (1 back fan, at the back of the Case), 2 at the bottom that blow air and 3 at the top (from the AIO that are taking the air out) and 3 fans from the front that are blowing air inside. All in all, the fans are 140mm. While doing the RAM test I did had the fan controller system all the way to very minimum which is why the temperature of the ram went that high.

I did some research and apparently the XMP profile on the AMD is called AI Overclock Tuner and by default it was set to Auto. However I did changed the D.O.C.P and I changed it to the default option that recognized the default RAM settings of DDR-3597 16-18-18-36 1.35V please check the picture below (which are the default settings)

Pic1

After changing to these settings, now the RAM runs at 3600MHz and so far it looks stable.

I will try to run again the MemTest86 to check how it will be.
Shop for a 2x32GB ram kit.

A 2 stick kit will give less fuss than a 4 stick kit.

Thanks for this but at least I wanted to give it a try to see if it'll work.

Reactions: Kona45primo

crazyhanuka

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
I did fixed the issue by a recommendation from another member.

What I did was:

Taking out the kits, wiping them, blowing the dust around (even though there was none), swapped the first kit from slot 1/3 to 2/4 and then swapped the second one that was from slot 2/4 to 1/3.

After I turned on the PC, I went into the BIOS and immediately, by default, the 3600MHz were selected.

I ran Memtest86 alongside with Windows memory Diagnostic and it didn't found any issue whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kona45primo