Issues with RAM (DRAM and CPU Flashing)

May 17, 2018
Hello, i've been experiencing issues with my PC.

Specs
i7 6700K
GTX1070
16GB HyperX Fury DDR4
1TB HDD and SSD
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming

For a year i had this PC it works fine, but in the past few months it had issues that the computer wont boot, no display, and the DRAM and CPU was flashing back and forth. I tried to take out one RAM and boot it up again, it worked!. it booted with 8GB of ram, but when i tried to place back the other ram i took out the lights flashed back and forth again. tried every combination of slots, except the one near the CPU because of the cpu fan blocking it. Then, after running a few days with just 8Gb i tried to put the other ram back in. It booted, with 16gb, but it didnt last long, my pc crashes and it the leds flash back and forth.

RAM is not the case, i tested each one.

Solution
Have you tested just one stick of RAM at a time in every slot? Maybe you have just one bad RAM slot which won't let you dual channel properley.

My suggestion is to some how get access to that slot that the fan is blocking (bank 0) and use it with a slot 2 over (bank 2) for dual channel and see if that works around your problem. In the end you may just have a bad board. Also check to see if your running at default memory speeds in the bios. Most people just enable XMP and leave it, but that isn't always 100% stable every time.

lancerzero9

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Have you tested just one stick of RAM at a time in every slot? Maybe you have just one bad RAM slot which won't let you dual channel properley.

My suggestion is to some how get access to that slot that the fan is blocking (bank 0) and use it with a slot 2 over (bank 2) for dual channel and see if that works around your problem. In the end you may just have a bad board. Also check to see if your running at default memory speeds in the bios. Most people just enable XMP and leave it, but that isn't always 100% stable every time.

Solution