Question Issues with randomly disconnection from ethernet connection.

Aug 24, 2022
Hey guys, I've recently moved into a new apartment with a different internet provider and ever since i've moved in i have been randomly dropping connection for 3-5 seconds while using a ethernet connection. This doesn't happen for my 2 other roommates and it also only happens to my PC, not any other devices. I've tried restarting my router and reinstalling my ethernet device drivers. My PC's motherboard isn't compatible with a wifi card so i'm not sure if that may be my issue either. Any help or tips to try and resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys, I've recently moved into a new apartment with a different internet provider and ever since i've moved in i have been randomly dropping connection for 3-5 seconds while using a ethernet connection. This doesn't happen for my 2 other roommates and it also only happens to my PC, not any other devices. I've tried restarting my router and reinstalling my ethernet device drivers. My PC's motherboard isn't compatible with a wifi card so i'm not sure if that may be my issue either. Any help or tips to try and resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated!!
Always start with a brand new 100% copper, non-flat, cat5e or cat6a cable directly from the router to your PC. I recommend monoprice -- https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Flexboot-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch/dp/B00KWS7GAC

Do you run a ethernet cable directly to the router or are there wall jacks/cable in the path.

The first test would be to constant ping the router IP. This will show you if the ethernet is having issues. Normally if the ethernet actually goes down you will a message in the event viewer.

If the ethernet does not lose pings it likely means there is some other software causing the issue.

Aug 24, 2022
Do you run a ethernet cable directly to the router or are there wall jacks/cable in the path.

The first test would be to constant ping the router IP. This will show you if the ethernet is having issues. Normally if the ethernet actually goes down you will a message in the event viewer.

If the ethernet does not lose pings it likely means there is some other software causing the issue.
It’s ran directly to my router. I’m not 100% sure if I’m doing it right but I tried to constant ping my ip and I’m receiving a message saying “destination host unreachable” over and over again

That means the port is down.

See if IPCONFIG /ALL shows the port is disconnected or maybe it does not have a proper IP address. A disconnected port is almost always a cable problem. You could try to update drivers and check the setting to make sure it is on auto but I suspect all that is fine.

Aug 24, 2022

See if IPCONFIG /ALL shows the port is disconnected or maybe it does not have a proper IP address. A disconnected port is almost always a cable problem. You could try to update drivers and check the setting to make sure it is on auto but I suspect all that is fine.
For my "Windows IP Configuration"; "IP Routing Enabled" is set to "No" and "WINS Proxy Enabled" is also set to "No". Not sure if this is whats causing an issue with my ip address or not. I have ran a troubleshooter in the past where it said I didn't have a proper IP address but I couldn't find a solution.

I think those are disabled for almost everyone, I never bother to lookup what they mean.

You can ignore those and most the other stuff in that display.

What you need to look at is if you see a message that says "media disconnected"

If you do not see that what you next want to look for is the IPv4 address. If you see 169.x.x.x that means you are not getting a IP from the router.

You might just try to disable IPv6 on the nic, maybe your machine is using ipv6 rather than ipv4 and the ipv6 is having issues.

Note if you do not see the ethernet interface at all that indicates a problem with the driver or maybe a actual failure of the ethernet interface.

Aug 24, 2022

I think those are disabled for almost everyone, I never bother to lookup what they mean.

You can ignore those and most the other stuff in that display.

What you need to look at is if you see a message that says "media disconnected"

If you do not see that what you next want to look for is the IPv4 address. If you see 169.x.x.x that means you are not getting a IP from the router.

You might just try to disable IPv6 on the nic, maybe your machine is using ipv6 rather than ipv4 and the ipv6 is having issues.

Note if you do not see the ethernet interface at all that indicates a problem with the driver or maybe a actual failure of the ethernet interface.
There's no media disconnected messages and my IPv4 starts with 173.xx.xxx.xxx (Preferred). I disabled IPv6 a while ago to try and resolve the issue, but nothing came from it.

That is a very strange IP address to have when you have a router in between. That is a public IP range and normally you only get that type of address if you are connected directly to a modem with no router. Most times only a single pc can function.

In anycase there should be a gateway IP. Try to run a constant ping to that IP and see if you get drops. This is very strange because it should affect all the machines connected to the remote wifi router.

Aug 24, 2022
So I asked my landlord what our ethernet cables are ran into and they are into a modem, however the other 2 people using ethernet connection dont have any issues. i constant pinged my ip and it seems to be fine, no fail messages

TRENDING THREADS