Issues with replacing HDD in new laptop with SSD

markgnarza

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all, old laptop crapped out on me, bought a new Dell Inspiron 15 7559 to replace it. Yesterday, I used EaseUS Todo Backup per this article's suggestion to copy my hard drive to the SSD that was in my old hard drive (Samsung EVO 850 256GB, formatted it beforehand).

After replacing the hard drive with my SSD (in a slot marked HDD, I should note), started up my laptop and a Dell support application comes up saying there's an error and it's analyzing my hardware for errors. No errors ever show up but it says something along the lines of "no bootable media" yet when I go into BIOS, it shows that the Samsung EVO is indeed the primary hard disk.

Could this be a faulty copying of the OS (Windows 10) to my SSD? Any ideas on how to fix this?

I should note that I noticed an M.2 slot (never seen one of those before!) marked SSD. My SSD is a 2.5" internal drive, not an M.2. Maybe, for whatever reason, SSDs are not supported in the primary HDD slot and can only be used in the M.2 slot? Have no idea why that might be but I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
1. It's conceivable that the disk-cloning operation went awry and that accounts for your basic problem. We'll assume that both the source disk - the HDD and the destination disk - the SSD are non-defective. I assume you were able to originally boot to the HDD in the new laptop and that drive functioned without any problems, right?

2. Was there any particular reason you did not use the Samsung Data Migration program to undertake the disk-cloning operation rather than the Easeus program?

3. Was the SSD connected as a USB external device during the disk-cloning operation? And following the d-c operation you connected the SSD to the same drive bay in which the HDD had been installed?

4. Did you attempt to repeat the d-c operation?

1. It's conceivable that the disk-cloning operation went awry and that accounts for your basic problem. We'll assume that both the source disk - the HDD and the destination disk - the SSD are non-defective. I assume you were able to originally boot to the HDD in the new laptop and that drive functioned without any problems, right?

2. Was there any particular reason you did not use the Samsung Data Migration program to undertake the disk-cloning operation rather than the Easeus program?

3. Was the SSD connected as a USB external device during the disk-cloning operation? And following the d-c operation you connected the SSD to the same drive bay in which the HDD had been installed?

4. Did you attempt to repeat the d-c operation?

5. You might want to utilize the SDM program for the d-c operation. We've found it to be quite reliable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS