[SOLVED] Issues with RTX 3070 Asus ROG Strix

Feb 25, 2021
Hey guys, after many years with an older PC I decided to build a high end PC for gaming/streaming and work. Build is as follows:
Motherboard: Asus TUF B360M-E GAMING
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6Ghz, 16MB LGA 1151
RAM: Goodram 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19 DIMM (2 x 16GB)
SSD: Kingston 1000GB SSDNow A2000 M.2 2280
GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING
PSU: NOX HUMMER X Series MODULAR ATX PSU 750W 80+ GOLD
Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R
WaterCooler: MSI CoreLiquid 240R
THE ISSUES
So, when my build came it worked fine for about a week, but then my graphics card started crashing. I managed to recreate the crash in 3 ways:
  • Playing any medium to high end game. Sometimes it crashes 1 minute into the game , sometimes it takes about 15 minutes, but it always ends up crashing.
  • Banging/punching my desk caused crash;
-Banging/punching my case caused crash; (controlled punching holding the case so only the components inside would move, not rage punching)

------How the crash manifests--------
When the crash happens my 2 monitors shut off for a sencond, then turn on with random colored bars or squares, then shut off again for a second and turn on (apparently) fine, but any game I was playing presents a graphic lost connection error.
------- TRYING TO FIX THE ISSUES------------
So I brought my computer to the store I bought it (friend's store, so they let me help/ be there while they tried to fix it) before activating the warranty in case the problem was a connection issue (thought it might be because of the desk punching crash).
----- Fixing attempts--------
1- Removing and putting the GPU back into the motherboard slots ==== FAIL
2- Got a GPU support ( NOX Hummer H-VGA Support) because the graphics card is heavy and big and was tilting slightly ===== FAIL
3- Makeshift side support (will be replaced by a proper one) between the side of the case and the GPU === Seemed to fix it but it ended up FAILING ultimately.
---- FUTURE TRIES----
Will try to DDU it.
--------- END ----------------------
Does any computer expert know what could be causing the issue/ any attempts I should make to try and fix it? I would like to avoid RMAing it but if it's faulty GPU I have no choice.
Thanks for any replies and sorry for the long post.

Solution
It is a poorly built in China and sold over a Spanish firm that is not even available in some EU countrys, export the rubbish?
The very informative Amazon description here in German (with 3 rewiews dated August 2019, Sept 2019, and April 2020 - all from Spain....)) is.....

About this item

• 120-mm-Lüfter, sehr leise
  • ATX12V v2.31 & EPS 12V 2.91/2.92 mit aktivem PFC
  • Anschlüsse: 1 x Hauptstecker 1 x EPS 12 V 4+4 Pin 2 x PCIE 6+2 Pin 9 x SATA 4 Pin 3 x Molex 4 Pin
See more product details

Thats it, so kinda sums it up really. None of the UK or German decent rewiew sites have ever reviewed one so thats another clue that it is in reality a no-name/generic rubbish PSU that more than likely not have a 12v...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say there's a double - perhaps triple - whammy going on here:
1)9900K + VRM barren B360M-E motherboard. Those VRMs must be getting toasty, or just straight up crapping themselves with the kind of power that cpu can pull.
2)The psu, as already brought up by sizzling.

3)Not nearly as major as the other 2 points, but a 240mm isn't really adequate for that cpu.

It is a poorly built in China and sold over a Spanish firm that is not even available in some EU countrys, export the rubbish?
The very informative Amazon description here in German (with 3 rewiews dated August 2019, Sept 2019, and April 2020 - all from Spain....)) is.....

About this item

• 120-mm-Lüfter, sehr leise
  • ATX12V v2.31 & EPS 12V 2.91/2.92 mit aktivem PFC
  • Anschlüsse: 1 x Hauptstecker 1 x EPS 12 V 4+4 Pin 2 x PCIE 6+2 Pin 9 x SATA 4 Pin 3 x Molex 4 Pin
See more product details

Thats it, so kinda sums it up really. None of the UK or German decent rewiew sites have ever reviewed one so thats another clue that it is in reality a no-name/generic rubbish PSU that more than likely not have a 12v rail stable enough for the type of voltage swings you get with a highend GPU. If only 3 people have bought it and left a review in 18 months that does also not bode well.

Solution