vasco.martins.drummer

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018
Hey guys and girls!

I need advice regarding my current build and possible solutions.

About 2 years ago I gathered some info around the internet and came up with this build:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
MB - Asus Rog Strix B-350F Gaming
GPU - MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB DDR4 3000Mhz
SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 64MB SATAIII
PSU - Eurotech 580W Silent Pro (older one I had)

I’m also using 2 monitors (Samsung LC24FG73), if that’s relevant.

The problems began as soon as I set it up. No post several times in a row. I don’t remember how I managed to get around it, but eventually it got stable enough to update the BIOS and install Windows 10. I do still have problem, since sometimes when I turn the computer on, it doesn’t post. (BIOS is the latest)

I’ve also noticed that the RAM wasn’t running at the speed it should (it was 1k something Mhz). At the moment it’s running at 2133Mhz, but I guess that’s the max speed it can since it’s a first gen Ryzen cpu?

Now, to my most recent problem. I wasn’t able to game much back then, so I used the computer mostly for working, but now I wanted to play and I can’t.

For example, as soon as I launch WoW, the game freezes and monitors go black, as if they had no signal. I have to force shutdown and turn it on again. It even made the computer crash and restart alone once or twice.
I’ve ran FurMark to stress the GPU with no problems, but when I tried Superposition, both the video render, where he goes through different scenes, and the play game option, crashed.
With GTA V, it runs for a few seconds then crashes the game.
I’ve had this problem with several drivers.

To test if it is related to the GPU, I’ve switched to an older one (R9 270X), and managed to run WoW without crashing. It did stutter after a while and gave me some permission hardware error, but I’m pretty sure that driver related.
It also ran FurMark and Superposition with no problems at all.

Also, there are no problems with temps of any kind. All hardware is around 30ºC idle and 60/70ºC (CPU/GPU) on load.

So, my questions are:
  • is this a problem with the GPU (GTX 1060) and should I buy another one?
  • If so, should I go for a RTX 2060 Super or RX 5700X (not very inclined for the latest since I’ve been reading about drivers problems everywhere and my computer isn’t 100% stable).
  • Should I also invest in a different CPU/MB combo?
  • Any other ideas?
Sorry for the LONG text and probably weird English, but I'm really lost with this atm. This is the first build I came to regret really hard.

Thank you all in advance.

Vasco Martins

TRENDING THREADS