[SOLVED] Issues with seeing other computers on network

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Ok I have 3 computers, well 4 in total but not worried about the 4th one, all running windows 10, they are connected to same network, part of same workgroup. Let's call the computers desktop A, desktop B, and laptop.

I have a folder shared on desktop A, the laptop is able to access it just fine. Desktop B is not able to access desktop A at all, it can see the pc on the network page but says windows can't access it. Desktop A is not able to access the laptop but can access desktop B. For right now, my main goal is for all computers to be able to access desktop A. But also want all computers to be able to access each other.

Network discovery is turned on and file and printer sharing is turned on on all computers. I read something about using smb client. All computers have smb 1.0/cfis file sharing support enabled in windows features. 2 computers have the smd direct enabled as well, the laptop does not have smd direct. Also have function discovery provider host and function discovery resource publication services running and set to automatic(delayed start)

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
The laptop is running windows 10 home, rest are pro.

I have the 2nd router hooked up and running in bridge mode. As of now, everything seems to be working good. All the computers can see and access each other.

When reading guides on turning router in an access point, they said it needs to be hooked up LAN to LAN. But I never got it to work like that. It is currently hooked up LAN to WAN with desktop A hardwired to LAN port.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Ty all for the help, very much appreciated.

There is one thing I don't understand. The 2nd router is setup in bridge mode now, same as access point. Should that router be throwing out the same wireless networks as the first router? Because it is not, still has the same network names as it always had.

One other thing. From time to time on desktop A, when I go to the network page, it will be showing an unusual icon that I don't recognize. Some will be under phone or other devices and have a name with car in it. I live along a busy highway, could it be possible the router is picking up stuff as people are driving by? I have noticed a few with same name keep appearing. One will show up under computers and when I double click it, says manufacturer is amazon. But it doesn't stay for very long.

It should be extending the range if your router, so that would include wired and wireless networks. Depending on the wireless range, nearby devices could be detectable, but from the page you appear to be on, these would be devices already on the network, so possibly a person taking a laptop/tablet with network access in and out of range.

happy_slip

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a similar but simpler concern:

I have 2 computers connected to the same network, one wirelessly (laptop) and one hardwired (desktop). My laptop is connected directly to the printer on another room. I am trying to print from my desktop but cannot detect the laptop. Both are using Windows 10. Both connected to a private network (one ethernet, the other wifi ssid). Printer Sharing already enabled