vesp3r

Distinguished
Hello, i have a huge problem with my shared printers last few days. Seems Microsoft decided to mess with things again and i cant find a fix.

So i have a shared printer thats locally connected to a Win7 PC and shared through it to the other computers in the network
The other computers are running Windows 10 and some of them cannot connect or print on that printer - When trying to add the printer it returns error 709, adding via local port returns "Access denied" error. I tryed remobing every update that MS installed for the past month, tryed adding SMB 1 and tryed a registry fix that was supposed to fix it (reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f). Nothing so far fixed my issue

Solution
What Microsoft update(s) or change(s) were made? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Just for the record: what make and model printer?

Also: Where did you make the registry change - on the printer's host computer or on one of the Windows 10 computers? Are you able to reverse that registry edit?

[Note: For the most part, registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after all data and the registry itself is backed up.]

Verify: the host Windows 7 computer is indeed able to print to the shared printer itself along with some of the Windows 10 computers - correct?

Compare the print and configuration settings between one of the Windows 10 computers that cannot print to a Windows 10 computer that still can print. Look...

Ralston18

Titan
What Microsoft update(s) or change(s) were made? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Just for the record: what make and model printer?

Also: Where did you make the registry change - on the printer's host computer or on one of the Windows 10 computers? Are you able to reverse that registry edit?

[Note: For the most part, registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after all data and the registry itself is backed up.]

Verify: the host Windows 7 computer is indeed able to print to the shared printer itself along with some of the Windows 10 computers - correct?

Compare the print and configuration settings between one of the Windows 10 computers that cannot print to a Windows 10 computer that still can print. Look for any sort of difference or differences.

One way to do so is to use Powershell Get-Printer cmdlets.

For example run the following cmdlet on a Windows 10 computer that cannot print and on a Windows 10 computer that can print.

Get-Printer | Select *

Reference:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67065254/check-printer-status-in-powershell

= = = =

And regarding error 709 specifically:

https://computerverge.com/fixed-printer-error-0x00000709/

Read the link first. Then work through the various suggestions but make no changes - just make some notes on the current configuration settings especially any that are not as expected or otherwise as they should be.

Then, as applicable try the fixes one at a time, especially if and where the configuration is not as it should be or was. Focus on getting a single Windows 10 computer to successfully print.

Solution

Latest posts