Feb 7, 2020
So i recently built myself a new rig...

CPU: I7 9700K
GPU: ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Super OC Edition
MB: ROG STRIX Z390 F Gaming
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB 3200MHZ
SSD: Aorus RGB M.2 NVMe SSD 512GB
PSU: be quiet Pure Power 11 700W CM

The issue is as follows: Shutting down/restarting/putting to sleep does not work through Windows. If i press Shut down, Windows turns off, but the hardware is still running (RGB, fans etc.). If i press Restart, Windows turns off, PC still running, but Windows does not turn back on - same with Sleep....

Manually shutting down, through the Power button, works.

I have tried various things in order to fix this:
  • Updated Hardware drivers / BIOS (also rolled back BIOS)
  • Turned off Fast Boot (In the OS, as well as in the BIOS)
  • Turned off Intel Management Engine
  • Link State PCI Management: OFF
  • Forcing Shut down/Restart through: Shutdown –s –f –t 00
  • CMOS Reset (interestingly enough, this temporarily fixed the issue....for a day....issues came back afterwards...)
  • "Ai Optimize", within my BIOS settings, was a temporary fix as well (for whatever reason)...
  • Windows is up to date

Something else...? I don't know anymore...

I did, however, not format/reinstall Windows yet...

Any hints as to what is causing this anomaly?

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
CMOS Reset (interestingly enough, this temporarily fixed the issue....for a day....issues came back afterwards...)

that is curious, as I was going to suggest a bios reset. AS it can be bios power settings conflicting with windows ones. Now why would it reset after 1 day... Surely its not a faulty cmos battery although i would think it would forget more than just power settings.

it might seem odd but I wonder if its ram. Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the errors. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. BIOS settings aren't stored in ram but all other data is and its worth at least crossing ram off list.

"Ai Optimize", within my BIOS settings, was a temporary fix as well (for whatever reason)...

AI Optimise appears to be overclocking - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107798-AI-Optimized-CPU-Core-Ratio-setting-in-UEFI

Your manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...14966_ROG_STRIX_Z390-F_GAMING_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

its not a windows problem if hardware won't turn off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, its 1 less oddball suggestion i didn't miss.

Any extra USB devices not mentioned?

are you running Asus AI Suite? Just wonder, since the problem came back 1 day after a bios reset, are you running any Asus software that might have set power settings?

I know it can change fan and cpu speeds, not sure about power? I don't use it anymore - I ran it on my Z97 and it set a software oc and to reset it I had to uninstall the Asus program before resetting bios.

one way to make sure its not a startup program is do a clean boot -
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Feb 7, 2020
So...after what seemed like to be...f* forever, i have isolated the problem. "LightingService" (under the Services tab) is the culprit. After disabling it, the pc shuts down/restarts/sleeps normally.

However, this leaves me unable to use Asus AURA Sync, as the service is linked to "Armoury Crate" (which is the only ASUS software installed) and with it disabled, it is unable to detect any compatible hardware. RGB still works though, just no way to control it.
Is it advisable to reinstall Armoury Crate? Or is there some other fix?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.