Issues with SLI

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
Okay, so i have 2 gtx 980 FE cards. My PSU is sufficient, ive reseated the card a few times and have everything plugged in. Both of the cards lights light up, but one of them wont show up in device manager. Im pretty sure my SLI bridge is good too. Its not brand new, but ive only used it once. Pls help.

Update: After the 3rd driver reinstall and 6th restart, i got both cards to show up. But now, my nvidia control panel has nothing on it.

Solution

I really don't at the moment since my GPU can't usually push my monitor to its limits in all titles. But 144FPS @ QHD demands a decently fast CPU to get the frames.

But at some point a new GPU will make my CPU the bottleneck, then I have to decide if it is worth replacing it.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

One is EVGA and the other is a plain nvidia card. I have never used GPU-z and would really like to keep from downloading it if possible. I thought only the 970s had SLI issues?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It applied to several of the GTX 980 as well as I recall, but I couldn't find that FAQ. I played it safe and got two of the same model, though they do still have different vBIOS. I purchased the second card about a year after the first one.

GPU-Z is just a little information tool. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

It and CPU-Z are quite useful for looking at installed hardware.

You could just try the latest vBIOS for each card and hope for the best.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
Okay, it seems like every time i reinstall drivers it fixes something. This is my 5th time reinstalling drivers and the nvidia control panel is back up. At this rate ill have my issue fixed soon by doing nothing other than reinstalling drivers lmao

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I recall some SLI issues with my 980s on driver update. Occasionally I had to use an older driver until they fixed it.

Speaking of which, I need to try out the latest driver on my 1080 to see if that makes Battletech stop crashing.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

Jeeze. Why do you need a 7700k at 5.0 ghz lmao

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I really don't at the moment since my GPU can't usually push my monitor to its limits in all titles. But 144FPS @ QHD demands a decently fast CPU to get the frames.

But at some point a new GPU will make my CPU the bottleneck, then I have to decide if it is worth replacing it.

Solution