Issues with small ITX build and a watercooled GTX 1080

Aug 3, 2018
I have a problem. Obviously I do or I would not have created a account just to post something on this forum. About 1-2 years ago I built a desktop in a case called NCASE. Its a ITX build with a full sized graphics card and full watercooling loop. I decided to build such a small computer because I am in college and I didn't want a massive desktop to have to carry around. Anyway the issue I am facing now started about 4-5 months ago and has only gotten worse and more common as time passes by. This usually only occurs when I am playing or launching a game or something intensive is going on with the machine. What will happen is the screen will completely freeze and there is nothing I can do to bring it back. However I can still hear sound out of my headphones and if I am in a discord server I can still talk to people and they can hear me. The only way to get the machine working again is to do a hard reset. Which sometimes breaks it even more. When I do a hard reset the computer tends to stop posting until I flick the switch on the psu and wait 15-30 minutes. It will light the keyboard and mouse up and even turn on the monitor for a breif second. But it wont show the bios screen and the monitor goes into energy saver and turns off again. I have tried EVERYTHING to fix this issue. At first I thought it was just a gpu driver issues. I tried installing the latest drivers and even old drivers but to no avail. This issue still seems to show its hand at some point no matter what driver I am running. Also at some point I installed the latests driver and every single game became unplayable. I'm talking 2fps for NO reason at all other than I had the latest driver. So I went back to a older version. I tried updating the bios and trying older bios versions but nothing has helped. At one point I thought it might have even been my SSD so I wiped it with samsung disk utility and put a fresh copy of the OS on here. It actually fixed the problem for a while but it came back after a few weeks and has only been getting more and more frequent since. At this point I really don't know what to do. Sometimes I wont even be in a game and the mouse will start lagging and then the whole thing will freeze. I am at a loss. I am thinking of just selling it for parts and buying a prebuilt so I don't have to deal with the headache. I've run extensive tests on the memory with No errors. I've even borrowed a physical PSU tester from a friend of mine and it passed with no issues. I've reseated components multiple times aswell. If anyone has any suggestions that I have not tried already please let me know.
Here is some information that was on the screen during the most recent lock up:
Images Here
PC specs:
PSU: Corsair SF 600watt
Motherboard: EVGA Z170 Stinger
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (MSI Aero additon)
RAM: Hyper X Fury 2400MHZ DDR4 Memory
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb
Hard Drives: Seagate 1tb and a Western Digital 2tb

Aug 3, 2018

At one point I thought this as well. I actually contacted Samsung to inquire about the warranty on the drive and they told me to wipe it with their utility and try a fresh install. Which as I said worked.. for a while. I will try your suggestion of unplugging the extra hard drives and see if I can get it to crash. My questions is if it is the ssd how could it have issues posting after it locks up

Aug 3, 2018

If the problem is a bad SSD. Why would the machine, after it crashes, not be able to boot into the bios screen until I leave it off for half a hour?

Aug 3, 2018
Just wanted to update this. I unplugged my 1tb HDD and I have not crashed since. Perhaps with everything connected I was maxing out the 600w power supply? The hard drive has no problems and has been relocated to a different PC. Everything is now working fine and I have not had a single problem since