Question Issues with update?

Apr 10, 2019
New issue: After clean install I went to change my display from the 720 recommended to 1080 and it wasnt an option (it had been in the several installs before) so I checked for a windows update and there was a list of them. They all downloaded and stated pending install except the ninvidia display driver update which was stuck at 58% downloading. I left it alone and came back after about 45mins and found it said updates failed so I hit the retry button. Suddenly the screen went to 1080 (everything got smaller like the previous times i had set the display to 1080 during past windows 10 installs) but i could not pull up the settings screen anymore. It was still pinned to the task bar. Only thing I could access was start menu so I restarted it from there. On reboot I would get past motherboard screen to a black screen with my mouse cursor and that's it. No windows logo, no sign in. Just a black screen with a logo. I have reinstalled windows 10 twice now to find the same sequence of events after attempting to update it. Any thoughts?

Colif

Win 11 Master
how old is your installer? If you haven't updated it recently, it might be a few versions behind - windows updates versions every 6 or so months, next one due in May. Every version update includes all of the previous updates so you only really need to install 4 or so updates when you fresh install win 10.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

see if you get a different result

Last edited: