[SOLVED] Issues with upgrading to Ryzen 7 3800x

Nov 25, 2020
I just upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3800x from a Ryzen 5 1600. Now my computer randomly goes to a black screen and the GPU fans go full blast. Also, when turning the computer off windows will shut down and as soon as it does the computer will not shut down. The GPU and all fans go full blast and the soft power button becomes unresponsive. If I install the Ryzen 5 back everything works fine.
Mobo: B450-DS3H-CF
Bios F60c
GPU - 2070super
Power supply- Corsair 850w

Solution
With the pc running, push and hold the power button until the pc shuts off. Wait 5 more seconds, then push the power on.

There's 2 ways to shut down a pc. Hard and soft. Hard is instant, anything held in the ram or windows cache is lost, nothing is sent to cmos, so bios has to do a full start up post and acquisition of equipment specs and settings. Power outages or Reset causes this.

Soft is windows shutdown. Hyberfil.sys is responsible for allocating a portion of your storage, everything in the ram and cache gets saved there, and settings are saved in cmos. When you start the pc, cmos sends the settings to bios, so no search is needed, and Hyberfil.sys puts the ram and cache stuff back (things like drivers and windows settings...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you downloaded the bios, did you just install the latest, or did you stagger it and install several revisions. Later revisions include the 'fixed' bugs, but often not the instructions to fix. This is due to oversized bios files and undersized bios chips.

You'd have to read the bios notes to find any prior revisions that must be installed first before continuing.
An example:

Reactions: punkncat
Nov 25, 2020
I have tried resetting the cmos but using the pins on the mobo. I also have done a full clean install of windows. What do you mean by a hard boot reset?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the pc running, push and hold the power button until the pc shuts off. Wait 5 more seconds, then push the power on.

There's 2 ways to shut down a pc. Hard and soft. Hard is instant, anything held in the ram or windows cache is lost, nothing is sent to cmos, so bios has to do a full start up post and acquisition of equipment specs and settings. Power outages or Reset causes this.

Soft is windows shutdown. Hyberfil.sys is responsible for allocating a portion of your storage, everything in the ram and cache gets saved there, and settings are saved in cmos. When you start the pc, cmos sends the settings to bios, so no search is needed, and Hyberfil.sys puts the ram and cache stuff back (things like drivers and windows settings etc). It's essentially a fast boot as it's just a return to how the pc was before shutdown. That's normally a good thing, but if there's any errors in registry, msconfig, drivers or extra bs like running malware etc, they get returned too.

A hard boot starts from scratch, a soft boot returns from saved. So a hard boot can force bios to discover the cpu, cpu driver requirements, cpu settings, bios needs etc. A soft boot won't.

Reactions: LeiHeJun
Solution

TRENDING THREADS