Question Issues with XFX RX 590 Fatboy 8gb, What's going on?

Aug 29, 2020
I've had my RX 590 fatboy for nearly a year now and it's been giving me issues ever since I've had it.

The issue is that at random points when I'm idling or playing a game, the display will suddenly turn off and the audio will cut out, but the computer and keyboard/mouse stay on and the monitor says "no signal". It seems to be some sort of software issue, as my PSU has enough power to supply it and works perfectly, and my ram works great too, there's no conflicts or turns off with the ram since I've had the ram before I got the gpu.

There's a small switch on the card (left for performance and right for quiet mode) and it seems flicking it left gives me the best results, but regardless the problem keeps happening.

I'm running on AMD Adrenalin 20.4.2 (Upgraded from 20.2.2 to see if it fixed anything but it didn't)
Windows 10
24gb of DDR4 2400mhz Ram
650w PSU
Ryzen 5 2600x
And of course the RX 590.

It doesn't seem the event viewer or reliability viewer for windows 10 show anything about what's happening, the only thing I've found was a service control manager error for the luafv service, but googling it revealed nothing related to the actual graphics driver.

Thanks in advance.

Your psu is tier 6 on this list:

A cheap psu will not deliver advertised power, and may do even less when installed in a hot case.
That may not be your issue. See if you can't test with a known good psu with 650w or more.

I think it more likely to be a problem with the card.
I see some 14% negative reviews on newegg for that card:

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-590-rx-590p8dfd6/p/N82E16814150817

Aug 29, 2020
Your psu is tier 6 on this list:

A cheap psu will not deliver advertised power, and may do even less when installed in a hot case.
That may not be your issue. See if you can't test with a known good psu with 650w or more.

I think it more likely to be a problem with the card.
I see some 14% negative reviews on newegg for that card:

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-590-rx-590p8dfd6/p/N82E16814150817
I don't really have any other power supplies that I can check with, this is really my only one. That's the only alternative I haven't tried from what I've seen in the problems people have with this card, but I thought only the wattage mattered and I checked with HWMonitor and it seems to be in good condition, but I'd rather know for sure if it's a software issue with the card before getting a new PSU

Aug 29, 2020
A bit of an update:
I was watching YouTube last night and the issue happened again, only this time it didn't really have the sound cut out like it normally does. I did some more observing, and the entire computer is still on, but the keyboard and mouse don't work, and the monitor doesn't detect a display no matter what I do, other than restarting the PC itself.

I did some looking and found that the GPU wasn't properly connected with both the 6 pin and 6+2 pins, so I connected it properly and the issue happened a lot less, but I have a hard time believing it's a power draw issue because about 90% of the time this issue has occurred, it's during idle while watching YouTube, and very rarely anymore happens during full load while playing a high end game.

If anyone can think of any issue that fits these circumstances, please let me know, otherwise I suppose I'll need to try to get a better PSU, and in that case, if anyone has great budget PSU's to recommend (Preferably 600-650w or a bit more), please let me know. Thank you.

This is just a very simple thought but have ever cleaned your registry for example, when drivers, software through updates etc get uninstalled they often leave old data behind that clogs up the data. What GPU were you using before the Fatboy? Are the old GPU drivers uninstalled properly?

Run something like CCleaner free version, run just the registry cleaner and you may be suprised as to how many issues it might find. I had a PC once that had gotten slow, turning off watching YTube just like you, even the blue screen of death appeared. I am not saying this WILLL fix your problem but it might.

Aug 29, 2020
This is just a very simple thought but have ever cleaned your registry for example, when drivers, software through updates etc get uninstalled they often leave old data behind that clogs up the data. What GPU were you using before the Fatboy? Are the old GPU drivers uninstalled properly?

Run something like CCleaner free version, run just the registry cleaner and you may be suprised as to how many issues it might find. I had a PC once that had gotten slow, turning off watching YTube just like you, even the blue screen of death appeared. I am not saying this WILLL fix your problem but it might.

I was using an RX 580 4GB, not sure what brand, probably MSI if I had to guess. And I think so, I ran DDU about 4 times, removing every nvidia driver I had and even all the amd drivers multiple times and reinstalling them, but I will try the registry cleaner suggestion and keep an eye out, I appreciate it. I'll give an update if something more happens. Thank you!

Aug 29, 2020
Another update:

It seemed to be working completely fine after I did the registry clean, it detected loads of issues, all of which I've fixed, and I kept my PC on for the next while and it worked completely fine, until now. I was playing Dying Light earlier today and the GPU got to full load but worked completely normally, and I just started playing it again a little bit ago, and about 30 minutes in, the GPU's fans kicked onto 100% at random and the display stopped working, making me need to restart the system again.. so I guess back to square one?

Event viewer still shows nothing except for the computer being shut off unexpectedly because of my restarting, but I do notice a recurring event issue, which is the Service Control Manager ID 7000 "The luafv service failed to start due to the following error: This driver has been blocked from loading", if that's relevant at all.

Aug 29, 2020
Update: The issue seemed to go away nearly entirely, and I kept my computer on for nearly 2 weeks without needing to restart it. I had found a way to install the AMD drivers without needing to install the extra stuff as well, and that also seemed to help, but specifically today for some reason, I was playing Raid Shadow Legends while watching YouTube and the issue happened again, the fans kicked up to 100% and the screen turns off entirely, and then 3 hours later it did it again. It seems this issue solves it self for a while and then kicks back up again.

I have also installed the latest optional and recommended drivers (20.9.1) and that seemed to help a bit too until this started flaring up again. I'm at a loss.

Update: The issue seemed to go away nearly entirely, and I kept my computer on for nearly 2 weeks without needing to restart it. I had found a way to install the AMD drivers without needing to install the extra stuff as well, and that also seemed to help, but specifically today for some reason, I was playing Raid Shadow Legends while watching YouTube and the issue happened again, the fans kicked up to 100% and the screen turns off entirely, and then 3 hours later it did it again. It seems this issue solves it self for a while and then kicks back up again.

I have also installed the latest optional and recommended drivers (20.9.1) and that seemed to help a bit too until this started flaring up again. I'm at a loss.
So you tried a different PSU and it didn't work? Whats up with your RAM?

It looks to be a Thermaltake Smart 650w 80 plus bronze PSU. I've checked HWMonitor and according to what everyone says, the volts seem to be within acceptable range
Even if you find another fix for your problem besides the PSU, the issue of your bad quality power supply will remain and you need to repace it with a much better quality brand/model when possible. Check this list for good models. Tier's A and B are optimal but do not go below tier C. Your Thermalcrap is tier D and does not belong in any gaming system, much less paired to a RX590. It's highly likely to be the cause of your problem.

Aug 29, 2020
Even if you find another fix for your problem besides the PSU, the issue of your bad quality power supply will remain and you need to repace it with a much better quality brand/model when possible. Check this list for good models. Tier's A and B are optimal but do not go below tier C. Your Thermalcrap is tier D and does not belong in any gaming system, much less paired to a RX590. It's highly likely to be the cause of your problem.
That seems to be my last resort I suppose, everything I've seen points back to the power supply's power handling being bad. Do you have one that you would recommend that's on the cheaper side?

Aug 29, 2020
You have a problem because you bought a PSU that's on the cheaper side. A good model costs money. What's your max budget and where are you located?
My max budget is around $150-200 and I'm on the West Coast of the USA. I saw the "Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro" power supply on that tier list and it seems to be within my budget.