iStarUSA drive cage drive compatibility?

Z300MZ

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I have several iStarUSA BPU-350SATA drive cages. According to the documentation, they are compatible with 6TB drives, and in fact I do have 6TB Seagate drives in two of them. PC-Pitstop.com, however, claims that they support 8TB drives, but iStarUSA Tech Support simply repeats the "6TB" figure from the manual.

Has anyone used any of iStarUSA's BPU* drive cages with 8TB or even 10TB drives?

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
If the drive cages are 3.5" cages, they'll support the 6TB Seagate drives. Capacity has nothing to do with compatibility with the drive cages, as long as the cages are 3.5" it'll fit just fine

Edit: I just checked, and the cages are for 3.5" drives, so yes the Seagate drives will fit. It supports SATA 6Gbps as well as SAS 6Gbps sooo....

Z300MZ

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

I meant "electrically compatible" not simply "will they fit physically?" The earlier versions of those drive cages met only the SATA 2.0 standard and claimed to support drives only up to 3TB -- perhaps because of the 3Gb/sec limit. But I am wondering whether there is still anything about the electronics in the most recent versions that would render these things incapable of supporting drives larger than 6TB (which was probably the largest drive at the time iStarUSA published the specs.)