IT/Information Systems Degree and Schools?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Doubt i will get any answers, but what are some schools in Southern California that teach IT and Information Systems? I want a BA in such a field to eventually become a Network Engineer. Is this the right degree i should work towards to be able to get that position? Im considering SCIT and some other trade schools, but theyre all so expensive and SCIT seems to have the best price, but not sure about the school itself. I want to actually learn a lot, im not paying $50000+ for nothing. Do i need to know how to code C and Java to be successful in the IT and Networking field?

Please leave any feedback and help. Thank You.

Ain't BA an Art's Degree.....
I really doubt being able to do a BA in any of the engineering fields.....
To become a Network Engineer..... it's a pretty standard procedure, learning more and more is always good, but, in the field of IT, it's too wide a variety and evolving everyday.
Basics, I believe anywhere would be to do a few short term courses from the likes of MS or Cisco, that'll get you straight into the field and not a very high price.....
Coding in any language would be a plus point, if, you're getting into the programming line, it's also a great way to actually understand how the computer thinks and see's things....
But, since it is the US, I gather, the system of education and the availability of options is way more and different than from down my side.
But, one thing you can certainly do here at Tom's is check out the sister site
http://www.tomsitpro.com
And that's where you'll get a lot of useful educational information....

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Thanks. By BA i meant Bachelors, not bachelors of art, lol sorry.Are you suggesting just getting certs by Cisco, MS, etc. alone? Most if not all, IT jobs require a Bachelors degree and only entry level jobs want an Associates- and you cant stay entry position forever.
Ive been on tomITpro a lot, but i cant really find much on education besides certifications to get... i want to see degree's. Also wish you could post on TomsITPro like here on TomsHardware.

lol.... sorry.... since I took the BA as a BA.... my approach was from an entry level only....
it's like a starter thing.....
No, no.... not only the Cisco, MS courses..... but for starters that WILL point you to the right direction, since the field is so wide, you will really need to find your way around, putting money in is going to be an absolute waste if you don't know where you're going to go.....
A good IT job requires a ticket (Bachelors Degree if you may call it) the rest is all upto you....
My suggestion would be to get a degree in computer engineering..... that would give you exposure to the whole present spectrum of education out there.... also that would leave most of your further IT options open so as to be able to pursue whichever speciality you might want then.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Oh i already know what i want to pursue, i want to become a Network Engineer, and i know i will have to start at the bottom and work my way up to that position and it will take years. I also know once i get my degree, i have to get certifications like CompTIA A+, CCNA and Microsoft Certs, etc. I would pursue a degree in Information Systems, because i want to ultimaetly get a career in Networking, and i believe that i would still be able to work as something like a computer technician with that IS degree, so that should leave me with a few doors open. Also, i often hear IT professionals with years of experience say that a degree is more like... a ticket, like you said- it shows the employers that youre serious- then your certifications show what you really know and can do- then once you get the job, they will train you to adapt to their environment and their equipment, etc. Is this true?