Question It is bad idea to buy expensive mobo right now before DDR5?

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
I want to buy new PC now with 5900X.

I dont know if it is good or bad idea to pay expensive price on some mobo..

maybe X570 Crosshair hero.. X570 Aorus Master.. X570 Taichi..

Because this platform is end of life soon.. and on 2022 new platform released with DDR5 memory and I dont know if I upgrade to DDR5 on 2022...

so what you think?

or if I want to buy expensive PC like this.. it is bad idea to buy a system right now?

Essentially, the question is: should I upgrade now...or wait. As old as the IBM PC-XT with rumors of the PC-AT already blooming.

Then, as now, the sage advice is: if you need the performance now then buy it now and do not wait. There's always another upgrade cycle in the offing; indeed, the nature of 'high tech' is that anything you can find at the retailer today is effectively in an 'end of life' scenario.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typically, when a new memory spec launches, it is comparable to the average speeds of the previous memory. In this case absolute minimum spec is 3200Mhz, but with much higher latency. Meaning that all overclocked memory from the previous generation can be faster and has less latency. But it looks like the first wave might be DDR5 4800 and up(Hynix already has 5600 available apparently), so with some tight timings you might be able to get kind of close to high spec DDR4. However, latency is mostly important to games, bandwidth is king when it comes to workstation tasks.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Rocksy
If you buy an inexpensive mobo for 5900x. still DDR5 and 5900x will not work together.

why 5900x? do you render? I think it's better to wait for DDR5, others may disagree. I'd get a 3900x instead of 5900x if prices are competitive.

you definitely are not making a pc for games, If you want to use Houdini, any amount of RAM can restrain you. DDR5 will shine for fluid simulation. You'll have a decade of possible upgrade for memory.
yes, I think 5900x is a bad idea, upgrade your gpu instead. DDR5 mobos will appear in third quarter of 2021.

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
@Rocksy
If you buy an inexpensive mobo for 5900x. still DDR5 and 5900x will not work together.

why 5900x? do you render? I think it's better to wait for DDR5, others may disagree. I'd get a 3900x instead of 5900x if prices are competitive.

you definitely are not making a pc for games, If you want to use Houdini, any amount of RAM can restrain you. DDR5 will shine for fluid simulation. You'll have a decade of possible upgrade for memory.
yes, I think 5900x is a bad idea, upgrade your gpu instead. DDR5 mobos will appear in third quarter of 2021.

If you have a need now, buy now.
DDR5 is coming, but probably will not show up in products for two years or so.
Buy what you think you will need for perhaps the next two years.

Truth is that cpu upgrades usually entail a new motherboard.

No.. Next Ryzen cpus will going to support DDR5 on 2022..
I dont know if it is bad idea because If I buy mobo I cant upgrade anything in the future.. because all the platform will be replaced in 2022..
I want strong hardware but I dont know if it is recommend to buy expensive mobo/expensive psu and all..

Reactions: LeiHeJun

USAFRet

Titan
I dont know if it is bad idea because If I buy mobo I cant upgrade anything in the future.. because all the platform will be replaced in 2022..
I want strong hardware but I dont know if it is recommend to buy expensive mobo/expensive psu and all..
2022. And then wait for the initial bugs to go away, and then the performance increase to catch up with expectations.

You'll not see a valid performance difference over current top grade DDR4 systems until mid 2022. (IMHO)

Then again, you can be the test case for the rest of us, and be the first kid on the block with a DDR5 system. We'll let YOU work the bugs out.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020

5900x won't support ddr5. Wait for January 12, see what Lisa will say:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-lisa-su-ces-2021-keynote-date-time

buy good psu, but don't invest much on mobo. That's my opinion. and get 3900x instead.
I'm sure AMD will jump on ddr5 as soon as it arrives.

just go for things that have longer future: gpu, psu, ssd. Stay away from ram, cpu

DDR5 support will definitely require a new motherboard.
DDR4 and DDR5 pin setups will be different.
As I recall, the transition from DDR3 to DDR4 did not bring a big change in real app performance.

If you do want a "future proof" purchase, look for a quality power supply of about 750/850W with a 10 year warranty.
They do not go obsolete easily.

Invest in a case you love, bust your budget for one if you need to.
A great monitor is also another type of purchase that can last a long time.

Graphics cards are constantly changing and are an easily replaceable unit. That is the most important component for gaming.

The cpu may not be the critical component, depending on the types of games you will play.
If you buy today for gaming, I would look at the 5600x if you can find one.
12 threads is enough, and the IPC is compelling.
If you are not in a hurry, see what rocket lake brings.
Intel will not easily give up the gaming crown.

Last edited:
I want to buy new PC now with 5900X.

I dont know if it is good or bad idea to pay expensive price on some mobo..

maybe X570 Crosshair hero.. X570 Aorus Master.. X570 Taichi..

Because this platform is end of life soon.. and on 2022 new platform released with DDR5 memory and I dont know if I upgrade to DDR5 on 2022...

so what you think?

or if I want to buy expensive PC like this.. it is bad idea to buy a system right now?
What do you have for a system right now? What are you planning to do with a Ryzen 9 5900X?

If it's for gaming, you might not need a CPU upgrade and should instead upgrade your GPU if you plan to play at 1440p or higher resolution.

D

Deleted member 2838871

12 threads is enough
Intel will not easily give up the gaming crown.

I settled with 10 core/20 thread... new build specs in sig.
No problems going with Intel for my gaming/video editing/video encoding/AutoCad/Solidworks PC. I got it all at retail price and considered AMD but not interested in doing business with scalpers.

There's always something better available in the future.
by waiting, you'd deprive yourself of likely more than a year of an upgraded PC. It's no different than the time value of money.

Yep... upgraded from a 3 1/2 + year old i7 7700k with 1080 Ti. The GPU was showing its age... the CPU somewhat less (for gaming) but still... I felt it was time and didn't feel like waiting.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
AMD Zen4 will support DDR5 and USB 4. it is 5nm, cores won't go up so it's less power hungry and faster.
it will arrive in early 2022. that's a year from now.
if your current system is not soooo bad, wait for a while. upgrade your gpu, psu, monitor, kb instead. get a wireless headphone, add some fish to your tank. just wait for CPU : )

Rocksy

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
AMD Zen4 will support DDR5 and USB 4. it is 5nm, cores won't go up so it's less power hungry and faster.
it will arrive in early 2022. that's a year from now.
if your current system is not soooo bad, wait for a while. upgrade your gpu, psu, monitor, kb instead. get a wireless headphone, add some fish to your tank. just wait for CPU : )

I dont know.. my system is old but not bad for me..
and maybe wanna play games on 4k 144hz