[SOLVED] It is ok to use 4 pin fan splitter cable for running extra 3 fan in one socket of motherboard

khushalkhnta4

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
i have an msi x58 motherboard and it has four fan header and three of them are occupied but i need to add extra three fan in my pc case for better cooling but now i have problem is motherboard has only one free fan header left so i look up on internet and find this solution splitter cable for fan header which link is give below

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07QL3SL42/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1HFYQWODDXXLI&psc=1

But i'm thinking that motherboard's fan header output is only 12v and i want to attech Three 12v 120mm fans. so i want to ask is either may this solution fry my motherboard or i can't run my three fan at full speed

OR it just totally fine ?

Solution
also, instead of loading up on one fan header with three fans why not spread it around and load up each of the three fan headers with no more than two. That will get you 6 fans total if you want and much easier to be avoid going over 1 amp total for each header.
It's not the voltage that matters....it's the amperage.
The port can output only so much amperage....many times the max is 1 amp.....but your motherboard might be different.
Let's say it's 1 amp.
The total amperage of the fans connected to this port can't exceed one amp.
So if each fan is .3 amps you can use 3.
If each fan is .4 amps you can use 2........etc

Reactions: khushalkhnta4

khushalkhnta4

Prominent
Feb 2, 2019
It's not the voltage that matters....it's the amperage.
The port can output only so much amperage....many times the max is 1 amp.....but your motherboard might be different.
Let's say it's 1 amp.
The total amperage of the fans connected to this port can't exceed one amp.
So if each fan is .3 amps you can use 3.
If each fan is .4 amps you can use 2........etc

so it is ok to use splitter cable for extra fans and i'm not in any trouble

so it is ok to use splitter cable for extra fans and i'm not in any trouble
Look at your motherboard documentation. It MIGHT tell you how many amps you can pull from that header. It MIGHT not.

If it doesn't I would assume it is 1 amp.

Then look at your fans. They should say how much they draw.
They may say something like .2A or .3A or whatever.
Add up the draw of the fans you intend to use. The total shouldn't go over 1 amp.

UNLESS your motherboard doc says something different than 1 amp.....like if it says 2 amps.....the total can't go over 2 amps.....etc.

Reactions: khushalkhnta4

TRENDING THREADS