IT Life Situations

Apr 8, 2018
I’m not sure if I’m looking for advice, because I already know what I have to do. I guess my point in posting this is to get people’s opinions and view points on my idea. I have a mental disorder that gets in the way of studying, however I know I can over come this. I’ve currently worked two years in IT. Deployments, imaging, Windows 10 support, answering phones, creating tickets, etc. I didn’t finish my associates degree and started working after I got my A+.

My plan is to get the MCP and CCNA afterwards. I’m missing something. I don’t have a clear idea of what my next job would require of me. I would like to work with firewalls, active directory and exchange. System admin.
Perhaps getting a server certificate would be better, but CCNA is a trendy word that looks good on a resume and viewed positively by most people in IT. I have to work on my people skills. I’m savy around computers and pick up on new tasks at a reasonable pace. It’s just that when I’m around people, working on their computer, I get nervous and anxious. I don’t know if I should talk to them or just focus on fixing the issue. So I usually do talk a little. Sterotypical awkward IT guy. This causes a lot of issues for me. Any words on this would be very, very welcome and taken to heart.

I sometimes lose my train of thought when I talk about technology to coworkers. When there is a problem and its diagnosed I can say what it is in great, precise language but it seems like I say too much. I sometimes forget the order of things that need to be done. I give lots of detail. I keep switching in my mind what I should be doing. My last job was kind of boring so I decided IT may not be for me and now am thinking of getting a labor job. I’ve wanted to be in IT ever since I was little. It’s a great career. I just wish I had more friends to talk about it, in every sense of the word “it or IT”. I am 27 from Poland. At my last job I would do tasks and it just didn’t feel rewarding. I find more reward from interacting with people and helping them solve a problem they are having. Which I guess I am doing by fixing their computer but for some reason it doesn’t always feel great.

Thanks if you read all of this. I guess what I am looking for out of your replies is encouragement, new views and overall help. I would like for you to share something from your life that helped you in your career. I would like to be a boss who others come for help.

Solution
There’s always something to do. OS patches have to be tested and deployed, GPOs can get updated fairly often depending on the environment, if the operation is big enough there are always new software suites coming online that need to be hosted on servers.

Then there’s troubleshooting - which service hung up and needs a restart?

Never a dull moment in server admin life.
That’s a lot to consider. Server admin is pretty cool but when it crashes the pressure is on to get it back. Besides the certs you listed, being familiar with RHEL and VMWare would help. And, if customers make you feel awkward then server admin is better.

I will say you have to be able to be proud of what you do, and feel rewarded, without input from others. Praise for fixing IT problems is hard to find!

If you do stay in IT, look for opportunities to help with big projects and show what you can do.

There’s always something to do. OS patches have to be tested and deployed, GPOs can get updated fairly often depending on the environment, if the operation is big enough there are always new software suites coming online that need to be hosted on servers.

Then there’s troubleshooting - which service hung up and needs a restart?

Never a dull moment in server admin life.

Solution