Dec 3, 2014
Here are my system specs.

BenQ GW2750HM 1080p LED
Antec 900 case
MSI Z87-G45 Intel Z87
Intel i5-4670 3.4ghz stock
MSI N770 TF 4GD5/OC
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

I could not find any info in the forums about OC'ing this monitor. According to newegg the vertial refresh rate of this monitor is 50-76hz, but windows sets the monitor at 60hz. I was able to test custom clock the monitor up to 66hz, but did not try to run any games on it at this setting. Would it be worth overclocking the monitor hardware for the extra 6hz? If it leads to frying my monitor for a minute inprovement I will just run it at 60hz. So is it worth OC'ing for the extra 6hz?

Has anyone else been able to OC thir monitor up to 6hz, and was there a noticible difference to shorten the lifespan?

I would like to switch to 120+hz, IPS, or 4k in the future (would go SLI) but I have only had this monitor for a year and dont want to fork out more cash until it dies or I can sell it at a reasonible price.

Solution
i have oc'd my 50" samsung tv from 60hz to 75hz and it makes a big difference.... everything looks more natural at 75hz...

next difference will be at 144hz but i cant achieve that .. i will have to buy new one and i dont want to...

overclocking comes with risk of heating and response time issues..and sometimes death.... but i havent had any probs

quinnsimmons

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I'd also be interested in hearing what the repercussions are of OC'ing a monitor. Does it draw more power to do so? If that's the case I'd expect either a shortened lifespan or possibly frying the screen for bad clock settings.

i have oc'd my 50" samsung tv from 60hz to 75hz and it makes a big difference.... everything looks more natural at 75hz...

next difference will be at 144hz but i cant achieve that .. i will have to buy new one and i dont want to...

overclocking comes with risk of heating and response time issues..and sometimes death.... but i havent had any probs

Solution
Refresh rate used to be important for CRT monitors to avoid flicker. But LCD monitors do not exhibit this and, to all intents and purposes, refresh rate is irrelevant (at least in the range you are talking about).

Some monitors are produced with refresh rates of 120 Hz or 144 Hz but there are varying views as to how useful this is for a computer display. Some tests have shown that users find 60 Hz more comfortable to view than the higher rates. The bottom line is, leave your refresh rate at 60 Hz.