[SOLVED] it seems only Micron ram works

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tac 25

Upstanding
Jul 25, 2021
what made me give up is using the command wmic memphysical get maxcapacity

divide results by 1024 twice, and it shows my rig can only have 4 GB max.

however... I tested to see if 4GB of ram combined with a GT 1030 and Q9500. Surprised that Soul Calibur VI is actually very playable on 900p with graphics on high settings.

Dead or Alive V also works with no problems.

the old backup pc showed that it still has some "fight" left in it. lol
well, this pc only has HDD since it's only used for archiving photos of family and friends. But after seeing the results in my favorite fighting games.. bought a a 480GB SSD for it, and also upgraded the aging stock PSU to a Sesonic GC 550 to improve performance a little further. :)

Last edited:

Tac 25

Upstanding
Jul 25, 2021
It's possible, but to be honest the majority of systems I've seen that were old enough to require older low density DDR3, or anything older, especially OEM systems that long ago stopped offering BIOS updates, have a very poor chance of being compatible with any Nvidia graphics card newer than the Maxwell (900 series) cards and many of them won't work with anything newer than the 700 series cards. I'd make a real attempt to verify that there are users out there that have been able to get a GTX 1050 ti to work on your exact motherboard before counting on it.

I'm certainly not saying it won't, but don't count on it without verifying it first.
this thread is already solved, but replying now to provide a bit of information. Actually, it's an ASUS GTX 1650 GDDR6 installed now into this ancient motherboard, and it actually works. Did not give even a single error. :)

The 1650 flexing it's muscles, it allowed me to increase the resolution used in certain games. Yeah, I know.. the Q9500 cpu of this mobo cannot use the full potential of the 1650. For example, when playing Dead or Alive VI the CPU cores are all 100% utilized, while the gpu is just chilling at 50%. This is only a test.. just too physically exhausted now to move the 1650 to the gaming pc. Will move it when I find the time to do so.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY