[SOLVED] it seems only Micron ram works

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hi, I have two pc's the new one that I use for gaming is already maxed out to 32 gb DDR3, the older one is still stuck at 4 gb DDR3, because the old pc seems to accept only Micron brand ram that were the ones available for it when I got it 5 years ago.

have been spending effort trying out different kinds of DDR3 on the old pc. Want to upgrade it to 8GB, because I still use it as a backup storage, and playing games that don't work in Windows 10.

mother board is Samsung Desktop System (only two slots for ram), processor is Core e8400.

took pics..

this pair of Micron DDR3 ram are the ones currently installed and working on old pc.

zlfzd2.JPG

these Samsung DDR3 work fine when tested on the newer pc, but for some reason, are not accepted by the old board.

i7838o.JPG

a2byji.JPG

is this a brand issue, or something else?

anyone with experience on this, please help. thanks.

Solution
This isn't a driver issue or anything like that. I have older lga775 systems that can take ddr3 and the limitation is in the density and construction of the module as the newer designed modules that are currently available were never compatible with the older motherboards.

If you look at the old Micron memory, you can clearly see that it is a 2Rx8 construction. This is effectively 2x 1GB modules on a single module in terms of how it operates. Generally these worked well with lga775 systems.

If you look at the Samsung modules they are all 1Rx8 modules, so the 2GB is appearing as a single 2GB DDR3 module (which may not have been supported), and the 4GB module is also appearing as a single 4GB module, which was almost certainly never...
Have you tried them individually in that system, without any other memory including the older already installed Micron sticks?

In other words, have you tried removing all memory from that system and then attempted to use the Samsung memory one stick at a time?

What are the motherboard model of the older system?

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
yes, have tried taking out all the Micron ram, and just putting the new ram... tried individually the new 4gb DDR3 and 2gb DDR3, the board beeps and will not accept.

Motherboard model of old system. When I type "wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer " at cmd, it says Samsung Desktop System. Which makes me think.. do I need to download and update it's drivers from this site? https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/samsung/laptops-desktops/samsung-desktop-system/7644 ---- which I have not done yet, as I'm afraid of getting a bsod or worse.

This isn't a driver issue or anything like that. I have older lga775 systems that can take ddr3 and the limitation is in the density and construction of the module as the newer designed modules that are currently available were never compatible with the older motherboards.

If you look at the old Micron memory, you can clearly see that it is a 2Rx8 construction. This is effectively 2x 1GB modules on a single module in terms of how it operates. Generally these worked well with lga775 systems.

If you look at the Samsung modules they are all 1Rx8 modules, so the 2GB is appearing as a single 2GB DDR3 module (which may not have been supported), and the 4GB module is also appearing as a single 4GB module, which was almost certainly never supported when the board was made since these modules were prohibitively expensive and rare at the time.

So your solution would be to find some 2R ranked modules and/or even some 4R ranked modules if they exist. Generally, most lga775 motherboards would max out at 8GB of ram even with 4 memory slots, and just a handful of motherboard/memory combinations could hit a full 16GB of ram (I've only read about 3 systems online that confirmed they were running 16GB on an older lga775 system).

I have an older gateway sx5803 that I plan to try to do the same thing you are--max it out to 16GB of ram, but I know it will take a lot of trial and error so I haven't even really thought about it.

If you read the links on the first page of this search, it should bring you up to speed. Keep in mind some of the information they're saying is wrong, but between all the truths in the links, you should get the gist of it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+dual+ranked+memory&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution
found some 4gb 2RX8 in aliexpress.. these might work.

we are currently in quarantine now. But I'll try to order one of these once the post office is active
again.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...xp_id=19bc84ec-4d90-4710-8701-9473567a043c-15

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...exp_id=19bc84ec-4d90-4710-8701-9473567a043c-6
I would absolutely NOT buy anything like this!! This is cheap chinese garbage at its finest with a high potential for doa or bait and switch. I typically will search for genuine used modules on ebay as people have little use for them and they're just as cheap if not cheaper.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
You're welcome. Yep, 8GB is better than 4GB. But keep in mind these older systems work better on software of their era, like xp and win 7.

one reason I keep the old pc running is because it has Windows 7. Some of my games won't run at all in Windows 10.

yeah, and won't force it do things it cannot. Have another pc with 32gb ram for more demanding games. :)

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I would absolutely NOT buy anything like this!! This is cheap chinese garbage at its finest with a high potential for doa or bait and switch. I typically will search for genuine used modules on ebay as people have little use for them and they're just as cheap if not cheaper.

after a bit of research. Saw that no LGA 775 supports ECC ram, so I guess that one store that sells ECC 2RX8 is out of the question now.

can you recommend a good seller of 2rx ram on ebay?

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
yes, have tried taking out all the Micron ram, and just putting the new ram... tried individually the new 4gb DDR3 and 2gb DDR3, the board beeps and will not accept.

Motherboard model of old system. When I type "wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer " at cmd, it says Samsung Desktop System. Which makes me think.. do I need to download and update it's drivers from this site? https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/samsung/laptops-desktops/samsung-desktop-system/7644 ---- which I have not done yet, as I'm afraid of getting a bsod or worse.
Run this and post a link to the results page.
PC Benchmark

after a bit of research. Saw that no LGA 775 supports ECC ram, so I guess that one store that sells ECC 2RX8 is out of the question now.

can you recommend a good seller of 2rx ram on ebay?
It's not about the seller but what you are buying and how you are searching. I only look for the country I'm in and used only so it filters out most of the fake imported stuff and shady sellers. I'll usually look at what else the seller has for sale and it's pretty easy to figure out if they are a company, a scammer, or an individual. I try to buy from individuals or small companies and it's worked out well so far.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
yeah, deleted that post because the problem is already solved.

anyway, here's a summary of the results. :)

UserBenchmarks: Game 0%, Desk 44%, Work 0%
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 - 48.4%
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5450 - 0.8%
HDD: WD WD25 00JS-58NCB1 250GB - 24.2%
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 160GB - 29.3%
RAM: Unknown 2x2GB - 23%
MBD: Samsung Samsung DeskTop System

the pc has two HDD, because I use it mostly for backup storage.

at this point, I'm just looking for place where to buy good 2rx rams.

yeah, deleted that post because the problem is already solved.

anyway, here's a summary of the results. :)

UserBenchmarks: Game 0%, Desk 44%, Work 0%
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 - 48.4%
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5450 - 0.8%
HDD: WD WD25 00JS-58NCB1 250GB - 24.2%
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 160GB - 29.3%
RAM: Unknown 2x2GB - 23%
MBD: Samsung Samsung DeskTop System

the pc has two HDD, because I use it mostly for backup storage.

at this point, I'm just looking for place where to buy good 2rx rams.
Go here and run the scanner see what it says.
Crucial

These are the three sources I use, the ONLY three sources I use when I need to verify compatibility of a memory kit with a given aftermarket motherboard.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?type=motherboard

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor

Which, not surprisingly means those are generally the only three brands of memory I tend to look at when purchasing memory new unless it is for a motherboard that has no listing of compatibility on any of those three sites. In addition, also, obviously, the motherboard QVL list as a fourth source of determining compatibility, for motherboards that HAVE a qualified vendor list anyhow.

These are the three sources I use, the ONLY three sources I use when I need to verify compatibility of a memory kit with a given aftermarket motherboard.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?type=motherboard

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor

Which, not surprisingly means those are generally the only three brands of memory I tend to look at when purchasing memory new unless it is for a motherboard that has no listing of compatibility on any of those three sites. In addition, also, obviously, the motherboard QVL list as a fourth source of determining compatibility, for motherboards that HAVE a qualified vendor list anyhow.
But this is an older pre-built lga775 system so not really going to have something like that for it.

But this is an older pre-built lga775 system so not really going to have something like that for it.
Right, which is why I specifically said for aftermarket boards. As in, for future visitors to this thread to use as a resource because we know that sometimes hundreds of visitors might find any given thread looking for answers OR for future reference by the OP for another system.

As I mentioned earlier though, knowing the actual motherboard model might be helpful and generally it is printed somewhere directly on the motherboard, even for OEM boards. Command line inquiries are not usually particularly helpful in this regard.

...knowing the actual motherboard model might be helpful and generally it is printed somewhere directly on the motherboard, even for OEM boards. Command line inquiries are not usually particularly helpful in this regard.
In my experience, for OEM systems, the system make and model is the most important information as the motherboard details will not help since there will be little information available on it and the system make/model is how any upgrade information is usually found.

I don't disagree with that either, however, unless I missed it along the way I'm not sure I've seen any mention of what model this prebuilt system is either other than just "Samsung desktop system" which could be dozens or more different systems. Probably more like hundreds, but considering the age and the fact that it's an LGA775 system, probably only dozens. That too, would be helpful. Although, for THIS specific memory search the models you provided based on the memory already in the system is likely the very best option in any case so that even though they did not all come together and there will be guarantee that they will play nice with each other, at least the probability is increased since they would, hopefully, be another kit of the exact same model number.

Nope, you didn't miss it at all--we don't know much about the system this is going in, and only what has worked and what has not. If I didn't run into the same situations in my own quick upgrade attempts of my gateway sx2803 with some 4GB modules like the OP has, I would have thought any DDR3 should have worked as the OP probably initially did.

TRENDING THREADS