It sounds like my Seagate HDD is buzzing, but no one else has the same problem

Serkisist

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
I've had this happen three times now. The first time was roughly a year ago with the original HDD that my PC came with. I don't remember what kind it was. I didn't actually know if it was from my HDD then. I believe it was caused by overheating, and the problem was lessened when I used the quick fix of an ice-pack on top of the case. It only occasionally happened when playing Dragon Age, which really heated my PC for some reason.

After about a year of that, with on and off buzzing (still only regularly from Dragon Age), the (did I mention used) HDD failed, and I had to get a new one. The data was too hard for me to retrieve, so I installed everything I wanted all over again onto a 2TB Seagate HDD (Model: ST2000DM001). This worked flawlessly for roughly 9 months until Saturday, October 10th. I had, the night before, moved to and from a friends house via car with the computer in the trunk. There was no problem until the morning after, when I tried to play Terraria, which I had been doing for more than a month prior (practically daily). A few minutes into playing, the computer began buzzing. I checked the temperature, but it was normal. I tested it on Minecraft, a similar game, which had the same problem when rendering new terrain. Terraria, for those who don't know, renders the limited world once when it is made. No random generating beyond moderate mob spawning. Yet, after a few minutes of playing, every time it would begin buzzing. It doesn't impede gameplay, only makes me fear for the functionality of my PC and the health of my wallet.

I have since noticed it from playing some flash games and certain functions on Chrome, like the font selection on Google Drive (when searching for new fonts). I had bought a backup drive (1TB Seagate, Model: ST1000DM003), which I cloned my 2TB HDD onto (only about 500GB have been used yet). I hoped that the sound was an isolated hardware problem, as the 2TB is still in warranty. I quickly noticed the flash games made the same sound, even though I am now running from a totally unused HDD. Just moments before I began writing this, a newly installed game, Assassin's Creed (yes the first one) made the same sound as soon as the Ubisoft logo came up, and persisted until I closed the entire program (more than minimizing).

Now I'm frustrated to no end that I can't play my games without fear of the horrible buzzing noise, as no one else (I've been searching for days, varying the sound from whining to buzzing, as it's a mix between the two) has this particular sound coming from their HDD. I am sure it is from my HDD, as I checked by ear, have nothing in the disk drive, and covered various parts of the computer (with the side open) to see if the sound became dimmer when my hand blocked it, which it did in front of the HDD. People on this site seem to know what they're doing, so I hope that I can fix this if it's a software problem, or know whether I should claim warranty if it's hardware. I'll do my best to answer any questions if someone finds something I may have left out.

USAFRet

Titan
Multiple things could be the issue:

Something else is 'buzzing'
Something is not quite screwed in tight
A cable is rubbing on a fan

Or...the drive is actually dying.
If it is two different drives, and the exact same sound, it probably isn't the drive.

TRENDING THREADS