It was fine for the first 3 months but then.........

ric-rivers

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I am having a problem with my ga-965p-ds3(1st batch) and e6600(retail). Mine worked fine since september then one day I go to turn it on and it goes through post fine, no beeps, recognizes my raid array, gets to the black XP screen and then resets. After it tries to load the second time it goes to the "f8" screen asking if I want to boot in safe mode and stuff. I try to boot in safe mode and it reads a few files and then resets. Any ideas??????? PLEASE GOD I NEED TO PLAY BF 2142!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Mine pulls crap like that if I set my CAS latency too low when my memory is above stock settings. I'm running a DS3, E6600, 2 gig Corsair 6400 pro CAS 5, and running RAID 0 off the onboard controller with 2 Seagate 320's. I really hope the RAID controller is alright or that you don't have a drive failure/corruption.

ric-rivers

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I listed the specs below. I am sorry if I sound like a turd but this is my first system build. It was easy to get the thing put together, raid set up, and up and running but troubleshooting and maintanance scare me. There are just so many different things it could be. No matter what I try I get the same result--boots fine, posts fine, gets to windows XP splash screen, and immediately resets. Also, can't boot in safe mode. I don't know if this matters but I am running xp-64. It was fine for a couple of months and then started doing stuff like completely exiting out of battlefied2142 in the middle of a game. I got a weird blue screen a few times but on reboot it would be ok. Then one day I go to power it on and it does this looping bullshit. Anyways, here is what I have tried:

1. Flash BIOS from F5 to F8
2. Clear CMOS (both battery and jumper)
3. Boot with 1 stick of ram in different slots
4. Re-installed windows
5. Repair windows install
6. Deleted Raid array, left drives hooked up the same (is this ok?), and tried installing windows individually to both drives. (install went fine)
7. ready to cut off a body part and offer it to the computer gods.............

So, I am sure there is some real basic stuff that I haven't tried to do yet. How do I test the memory, mb, processor etc from dos? I suck. Thank you.

EDIT: Have not tried to OC yet. I plan to once I get this thing stable.....
EDIT: Noticed one long and one short beep on last couple of cold boots.

ric-rivers

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Ok I did recovery console(with my raid array) and did chkdsk/p. Then I did fixmbr and option yes. Tried to reboot and had same problem. So to check both drives again I deleted raid array, hooked up just one drive, and did a fresh windows install. Of course I set the ctrl mode to IDE in BIOS. This time.....SUCCESS! So I disconnected that drive and hooked up the other drive and did fresh windows install. Again, SUCCESS!!!! So I know that the drives aren't bad...or at least not after I did fix master boot record command. So I am going to try and setup the raid array again. I will repost with results. Someone suggested to me that the Gigabyte RAID controller may be bad. I will try to set up on the purple SATA ports (gigabyte controller) and see if I get the same results. If I do I will try the raid setup on the yellow ports (intel ICH8 controller). Actually, is this even possible? Do the ICH8 support RAID? and if so where will I find the drivers?

enPhotic

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I was having the EXACT same problem a couple days ago. I'm not on a RAID config though. Format and fresh install of Windows. I thought that fixed it but then it reset another time while loading. It's been booting fine now (I didn't make any changes), but now some of my games (BF2 and COD2 for instance) reset the computer right as the opening logos play. I really started to think it was the memory. I also have the OCZ Platinum pc6400, mine of which will only clock to 746mhz and bios won't allow me to change the voltage.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
That's what happens to my first built and current, but within the 1st 5hrs of usage though.

Have you try running memtest86+?

So you don't have to look around, here's the link for the latest memtest86+.

Save it, unzip, and burn the file on a CD(or small CD since it's only ~2MB), then select 'Go to boot menu' or something like that in the Post Screen, select 'boot from CD-ROM', then the program will automatically starts. Leave it runs the more the better. A non-defective RAM shouldn't give any errors. Errors will be in red at the bottom half of the screen. The program's display itself is well layout, you shouldn't have any problem seeing what's going on.

Another thought is try to 'test' your HD and the array somehow like Jonrem stated, because maybe it couldn't boot XP.

And my last thought would be the Power Supplies, maybe it failed for some odd reason, would you mind posting the brand AND the specs of the power supplies: how many Watts, Amps(A) ratings on each the +12V?

Hope that helps.

:)

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Actually, is this even possible? Do the ICH8 support RAID? and if so where will I find the drivers?

To my knowlege only the Gigabyte SATA ports support RAID 0/1 and NCQ. I think the ICH8 just does SATA 3.0. Almost positive only the Purple ports support RAID. Best of luck!

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Any new news? I'm starting to suspect the RAID controller too, but running win XP 64 brings in some variables that I'd not familiar with.