[SOLVED] It would be nice if...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
...if CPU designers and motherboard designers could get together and find a way to allow a new model CPU that needs a motherboard BIOS/UEFI update to be recognized, at least have the capability to produce a display and enter BIOS/UEFI. Or at at the very least, produce a simple text display with a message relating such. Just sayin'...

Solution
There have been/ are mobos that you can perform a BIOS update without ANY CPU installed. Would be nice if that was more unanimous.
Well, there wouldn't be much point in that really. If it only recognizes the CPU and gives a small text line to tell you that, what use is it? The CPU still won't function correctly without the BIOS/UEFI update. In fairness to the manufacturers though, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte all release new updates in advance of the new CPU's going retail (normally months before). So, IMO they already do a pretty good job! Of course, the updates need to be tested and this takes time and there is a qualification process to follow too so that the updates don't kill a CPU or mobo or some other function.

Just sayin....;)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, there wouldn't be much point in that really. If it only recognizes the CPU and gives a small text line to tell you that, what use is it?

Just sayin....;)
For instance... I buy new components for a new build. I breadboard the motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, monitor (iGPU) before assembling. I get no display. Is it the board? Is it the CPU? Is it the RAM? PSU? Did the board come with an early BIOS? What component do I send back?

A small text message saying something like 'CPU not recognized' would save a lot of hassle. Or if outputting video text is too challenging, maybe an extra debug lite on the board for that purpose.

D

Deleted member 14196

So your rant says that you want the computer that are ready have another computer in it so It can display messages to you. It doesn’t make any sense financially. why any mfg would do this

InvalidError

Titan
A small text message saying something like 'CPU not recognized' would save a lot of hassle. Or if outputting video text is too challenging, maybe an extra debug lite on the board for that purpose.
Outputting text is indeed complicated: before you can initialize the video BIOS, the system BIOS needs to initialize the memory controller and a handful of other things. By that time, you already have completed most of POST. Most motherboards already have an early boot indicator in the form of beep codes but those still require a CPU in a functional state to set the timer that drives the speaker output, can't do much about diagnosing PSU or anything that might prevent the CPU from getting in a working state and preventing it from starting POST.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Problem is the motherbd cannot put out a video signal without a working GPU which basically needs a working CPU...
Higher end motherbds do have indicator led's to help isolate the issue which may actually be what you're looking for.
"Cpu led is red! Hmmm"
Yeah, got one of those. CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT LEDs. All flashed at boot and stayed out.
All is good now. Got a new board that recognizes the 9th Gen Intel CPU. Thanks all for hearing me out.

@tennis2
"There have been/ are mobos that you can perform a BIOS update without ANY CPU installed. Would be nice if that was more unanimous. "
How does that work w/o video?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@clutchc
It's an automated process, Asus ROG boards have it. There's a specially identified usb port in the rear and right next to it is a flashback button. You set up the bios on a USB drive, put it into that port, push the button and it's done. No video, no cpu, no ram, just the psu hookups, it's just bios flash. When you do finally boot up, it'll be with the new bios. There's an led on the mobo that lights up during the process, when it goes out, it's flashed.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
@clutchc
It's an automated process, Asus ROG boards have it. There's a specially identified usb port in the rear and right next to it is a flashback button. You set up the bios on a USB drive, put it into that port, push the button and it's done. No video, no cpu, no ram, just the psu hookups, it's just bios flash. When you do finally boot up, it'll be with the new bios. There's an led on the mobo that lights up during the process, when it goes out, it's flashed.
That is EXACTLY what I was talking about! Excellent. Thanks Karadjgne and tennis2. An even better solution than I had come up with.

Unfortunately neither of the boards I was just using were Asus. Oddly tho, I just finished an earlier build that used a new Asus board, but that feature wasn't on it. Must just be the high-end boards have that, huh?

InvalidError

Titan
Unfortunately neither of the boards I was just using were Asus. Oddly tho, I just finished an earlier build that used a new Asus board, but that feature wasn't on it. Must just be the high-end boards have that, huh?
There is extra cost to adding a micro-controller and possibly a signal switch between the USB port and chipset/SPI-flash to scan the USB key for valid BIOS and apply it, so I wouldn't expect this feature on budget-oriented CPUs until AMD or Intel decides to build this sort of functionality directly into the chipset, eliminating the need for additional parts.

USAFRet

Titan
...if CPU designers and motherboard designers could get together and find a way to allow a new model CPU that needs a motherboard BIOS/UEFI update to be recognized, at least have the capability to produce a display and enter BIOS/UEFI. Or at at the very least, produce a simple text display with a message relating such. Just sayin'...
Troubleshooting 101.

This part failing may not be evident until that part fails to work.

Output a text message?
"Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue"