Itainium Due For Middle Of This Year

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Just thought you should know (most dont care)but Dr. Andrew Grove said so (Chairmen of Intel) check out the web cast.

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

pman78

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Itanium is and always will be a DOG... It is nothing more than a proof of concept for software developers to begin development on Ia64 software. The real winner in Ia64 will be the McKinley processor due out Mid-'02. It will run at ~2x the speed and cost ~1/3 the Current Itanium. Completly different package design and layout.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PMAN78, your clueless to what the Itanium can do.

Currently the Alpha IA-64 processors own hardcore.

"It is nothing more than a proof of concept for software developers to begin development on Ia64 software." You must think that Alpha runs on vapors?

You are obviously mistaken Itanium with the AMD hammer x86-64 and its software simulator.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
A new world that home users wont be able to buy. And as i said before intel gonna go only server route with the processor they want a peice of Sun (good luck) but well never know what the future brings all iknow is intel will be there pointin the direction:) Maybe even AMD will too :)

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt we'll be able to buy an Itanium but I am seriously thinking about a Hammer.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

pman78

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Fugger:

You are the one who is clueless.... I never said Alpha does not have a 64 bit processor but Alpha does not play in the IA64 arena because IA64 means Intel Architechture 64 bit. Now Alpha does have 64 bit processors i will agree with you there. Intel is developing software that will utilize the Itanium core logic design to offer more performance. 64 bit software currently used on Alpha core logic is very limited with a very powerful chip... The initial Itaniums are being used to develop software and for Intel to PROVE (IE. proof of concept) they can manufacture a 64bit processors. The thought is that all processors will eventually move to 64 bit or higher (Trasmeta is actually based on a 128 bit computing logic). The IA64 effort is Intel beginning to play in that arena. And contrary to what most of the AMD morons on this board think... Intel continues to have a lot of influence and pull in the software/hardware community.

Get your [-peep-] in line before you open your big mouth in the future. My initial post was just a comment... Not intended to flame or get flamed.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Itanium is and always will be a DOG..." ok, so you made this statement based upon?

Itanium will be very powerfull processors for specific applications. Intel has been working on this design a long time.

Let the damn thing hit the market before you try to shoot it down. Ill give you same respect for hammer, even time for it to mature.

I agree, and have stated in the passed many times. Intel does write the spec that everything is built around.

G

http://www.theregister.co.uk/conten...u's are not on the horizon (next 5-10 years).

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Yes there is next SPARC generation is gonna go that route. So ive been told.

SPUD

G

that's very interesting... according to AMD vp of engineering,

"Perhaps when architects in 2025 begin to debate the move to 128-bit computing, they won't be so quick to reject extensions to the x86-64 features AMD laid out today"

it is a long ways off. i have heard this elsewhere as well this was just the easiest quote to find. please note he is not referring to AMD's roadmap.
http://www.amd.com/news/prodpr/99105.html[\url]

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Errr...it <i>did</i> hit the market. Intel kept it a bit quiet, but it was released, and the production units are actually in use.

Trouble is, not many people seem to want an Itanium. Intel was only able to scrape up maybe half-a-dozen real live Itanium users at their last PR shindig.

As for running like a DOG...for 32-bit x86 code on the Itanium, you might as well run a software emulator. 32-bit code benchmarked about like a P-100 on the Itanium; a software emulator would probably run it faster than the Itanium's built-in emulation. I'd post a link to the relevant review if I could remember it...

I'd personally like to see some benchmarks of the thing next to an Alpha or an UltraSPARC III, as this seems to be the playing field the Itanium is targeted for. I prefer not to pass judgment on the chip until then.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

TRENDING THREADS